Random Musical Thoughts

Mr. Piano Man – I won’t say I hate the song, even though I do. But what I will say is, piano is 3 syllables. Not pyano. Pi-an-o. This song gives me tremors. (thanks for catching the typo ;))

American Pie – Too dang long. Maybe it it stopped being long I’d care about its significance.

Sir Elton John – He seems like a cool guy, but I’ll be darned if I can stand a single one of his songs that isn’t Crocodile Rock. And even then, it depends on the setting.

Avril Lavigne – Oh my GOSH this chick is annoying. I am so serious about wanting her to retire forever. Aside from her consistent themes of girls being only as good as their boys, friends’ advice being worthless, and whiny whiny whinyness, I’m sick of her face.

Burn.

Hymns – What are these, like a hundred years old? Hey, grandpa hymns, why don’t you get young then maybe I’d care.

Hey There Delilah – I think this song is both creepy and overplayed. If I were Delilah I’d totally skip town and change my name.

Ever noticed how “Wind Beneath My Wings” and “You Raise Me Up” are the same song? Think about it. Do you ever hear them at once in the same place?

If Techno were a person, he’d be that really loud obnoxious guy who butts into the conversation to repeat his (stale) point over and over until somebody acknowledges him.

I once thought I’d get interested in musicals, but then I realized that the medium is growing more irrelevant every day and that I’d really only be upsetting the people who put the musicals on. And I think that’s punishment enough.

People are so sensitive about music, I’ve seen people take “your mom” jokes more in stride than cracks about their favorite music.

11 Responses to “Random Musical Thoughts”

1. on 28 May 2008 at 7:42 pm pella

Neil Diamond. All of his music sounds like a Coke commercial to me.

2. on 28 May 2008 at 9:42 pm Kelly

Umm… not to be a smart ass… but piano actually has 3 syllables. 😉

3. on 28 May 2008 at 10:15 pm Trevor

Piano is three syllables.

4. on 28 May 2008 at 11:09 pm Sammy

Er, that would be *three* syllables on piano, there.
    I dare you to try to pronounce “ano” as one syllable 😛

5. on 29 May 2008 at 2:44 am Melody

Hi… I’ve been reading a while, but got the urge to comment before…

Funny stuff. I’m not sure I get the hymns part though. The ones that suck are always new (Haugen and Haas especially). The old ones got saved while the awful banal stuff of their day got tossed. Case in point, “O Sacred Head” by a certain fellow goes by the name of Bach, and Ave Verum by Mozart.

Then there’s my most favorite music in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_866C6hzec

I liked Elton John until I found out he was gay. Not because I hate gays, but because I could never listen to “Can you feel the love tonight” the same way again.

I hope you are right about “You Raise Me Up” replacing “Wind beneath my wings”. I’m a Josh Groban fangirl and I’ve heard the latter song played in so many corny movies that I just gag whenever it comes on.

6. on 29 May 2008 at 6:13 am Joshua

lol, so a co-worker of mine’s friend knows the “Delilah” and Delilah actually was creeped out by the guy cause he was like half-stalking her… I cant remember the rest of it casue she told me the story like six months ago… but I do remember the guy was being creepy.

7. on 29 May 2008 at 11:59 am DoubleAC

So since we all know what you don’t like, your next post should be about the musical concepts and artists that you DO like! Mostly just because I’m, and I’m sure other people are as well, curious.

8. on 29 May 2008 at 11:08 pm Heather

Is someone cranky today? Usually your posts have so much humor and wit, this is just bitching.

9. on 30 May 2008 at 12:31 am Barbara

You are so right about how people get upset if you make jokes about their music, and I have to admit I am one of them – lol. I guess some of us take our music a bit too seriously, but I can’t help it.

So, what songs/artists do you LIKE?

10. on 01 Jun 2008 at 2:11 pm Karen

I like some of the artists I make fun of. I try not to be the people who get all worked up. I do like American Pie, and I love old hymns. It’s all just for fun.

11. on 06 Jun 2008 at 3:55 pm Melody

LOL… I guess I got fooled.