Screams like a Girl Man

Okay, okay, okay. I was sure that I was paranoid. I was sure it was just me.

But I’ve noticed in films with anything like an action scene, there’s always that one guy…with that one girly scream…and it sounds exactly the same in every movie. In my head and to my friends, I used to call him “screams like a girl man” and I could have sworn he showed up pretty much everywhere.

So imagine my triumphant delight when my friend sent me this video, proving to me that I was one hundred percent completely right.

WHAAAA!

12 Responses to “Screams like a Girl Man”

1. on 01 Apr 2008 at 8:49 am Richard@Home

I can’t hear the scream at work, but I’m willing to bet it’s the infamous “Wilhelm scream”.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

and a compilation on his greatest hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio

2. on 01 Apr 2008 at 10:14 am Brian

3. on 02 Apr 2008 at 3:54 am himem

ehheeh

very well noticed!
    nice video

4. on 04 Apr 2008 at 2:35 pm Holly Kay

Oh, that is SO funny. Now I am never going to be able to watch a movie without listening to the girlie-screamer guy again!!!

Too much!

5. on 05 Apr 2008 at 1:10 pm Gymnanin

Yah, I always noticed that scream, too! It’s in a lot of video games. There are a lot of noises that are repeated in tons of movies, and it gets quite annoying.

6. on 07 Apr 2008 at 11:36 pm bry

not the willhelm scream.

7. on 08 Apr 2008 at 8:54 am person man

Yeah. I used to enjoy hearing the Wilhelm scream in movies and stuff. Thought it was entertaining.

Now, it seems like you can’t make a movie without it and hearing it just kind of bothers me… Although, there is the rare occasion in which it is used correctly (as a joke) and is therefore hilarious.

I actually managed to catch part of a documentary on the Wilhelm scream a few months back. What everyone thinks of it is only half of the audio clip (the second half) and it came from a guy being instructed to “scream like you have been bitten by an alligator.”

8. on 08 Apr 2008 at 8:58 am person man

Youtube to the rescue!

Documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxALy22utc

9. on 08 Apr 2008 at 1:01 pm David

“Shadows of the Empire” for the Nintendo 64. Anytime you shoot a guy standing near a ledge causing him to fall off. That’s when I first noticed it. I never knew it had a name.

10. on 08 Apr 2008 at 2:56 pm Hugh Mahn

Haha fantastic clip, this actually is very similar to my situation regarding “door opening sound #27” (randomly assigned name by my friends and I). Back in the day of Microsoft 3D Movie Maker, one of the pre-recorded sound effects you could use to dub into your movie was this very unique opening-door sound. Having become attuned to it’s unique “open-and-squeak” I found myself catching it in movies EVERYWHERE. Eventually I was able to get my friends in on the madness and now this sound effect has somewhat of a cult following within our peer group. So, if you’re ever in a theater and hear some guys cheer after a door has opened with a particular squeak, that’s us, and that’s “door opening sound #27”. Welcome to the madness.

11. on 15 Apr 2008 at 1:25 pm james

How about the DOOM door opening sound? I hear that all of the time in Sci-fi movies… and it takes me right out of the movie everytime. Why would they use that sound when they know what everyone associates it with?

12. on 06 Jun 2008 at 1:02 am dcbprime

This is amusing.
    But what I was searching for when I found the Wilhelm scream, is a cliche girl scream… well, she screams twice in the sound effect. I guess once wasn’t good enough.

I don’t mean to threadjack, but I figure if any people out there know where to find a movie sound effect cliche, it must be you guys.

Meanwhile, I will revel in the Wilhelm.

Thanks.