More Unfortunate Ad Placements!

it’s always fun to go searching for these! Here are some I’d never seen before:

hydroderm01.jpg
This one just seems a bit mean.

badadplacementcigarettes.jpg
Somehow I don’t think they’ll be getting the message intended…

delicatebutt.jpg
Yuck. Not so much unfortunate ad placement as…unfortunate mud placement.

ooopss.jpg
Oh, now…that’s just not right.

Sometimes I wonder if a portion of resources should be removed from advertisement research and placed into some constructive planning for placement. Nah, then we wouldn’t get gems like these.

10 Responses to “More Unfortunate Ad Placements!”

1. on 18 Feb 2008 at 8:29 pm Slippy Lane

In automatically-placed ads, it’s understandable – automated natural-language context recognition is nigh-on impossible as yet, but there’s just no excuse for it in a newspaper (at least, I assume that last clip is from a newspaper).

Wouldn’t have happened in the old days when the news sheet was laid out on a pasting table :-)

2. on 19 Feb 2008 at 2:25 pm Mr. Fabulous

The bus ad completely made my day!

3. on 19 Feb 2008 at 4:55 pm GOD

lol thow i didn’t get the first one…

4. on 25 Feb 2008 at 9:10 am darkplacezzz

Slippy… “Wouldn’t have happened in the old days when the news sheet was laid out on a pasting table.”

The fact that it is all done on computer these days does not eliminate the need for proofing the product prior to printing.

Like in the “good old days”, the paper is still laid out/displayed for proof reading, now it is just on a computer screen as opposed to a pasting table. Far more convenient really.

5. on 25 Feb 2008 at 9:48 am holly

it looks like she made a skid-mark… that’s the joke.

6. on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:10 pm Brandon

The last one is def. the best!

7. on 25 Feb 2008 at 3:22 pm matey

Oh, I feel so evil for how much the last one cracked me up. I almost choked on bite of nectarine which I’d taken before I knew the extent of funny I was about to be subjected to.

I guess that would have been fitting, though. I wonder if in the newspaper next to my obituary there would have been an ad referencing choking (you know, choking on high insurance payments or something like that).

8. on 03 Mar 2008 at 4:35 am Pete Aldin

That’s hilarious. Apart from the bus one, these could all have been avoided.

9. on 08 Aug 2009 at 12:07 pm Chuck

@Slippy Lane: “Wouldn’t have happened in the old days when the news sheet was laid out on a pasting table.”

Don’t be so sure … I used to work at a large metro newspaper in the “good old days” (when the pages were nonetheless produced on a computer, BTW). I was working on my section in the composing room when I passed a page belonging to another section, whose section editor had already signed out. The page was just sitting on the table waiting to be picked up and taken to the engraving dept. It was an obituary page, filled with obits except for a quarter-page ad. The ad was for a health club, and its tagline, in big bold letters, read: “WE WANT YOUR BODY.” I put a hold on the page (even though, technically, I couldn’t) and called the composing room chief and the newsroom to call their attention to this “slip.”

10. on 17 Oct 2009 at 10:11 pm Penis