Rock the Vote

Voting is important. I’ve just recently registered to vote myself.

Yes, I am a few years late. For whatever reason, nobody really bothered to teach us how to register in school – or, to be fair, perhaps I was absent that day. For young men it was a big deal to register, on account of the draft, but I managed to go quite a while before really being bothered with it.

It’s just one of those things where you forget to ask, and by the time you really want to it’s a little embarrassing, you know?

And nobody really helped either. “So, Karen, who did you vote for?”

“Ah…nobody, I’m not even registered.”

“Holy cow! You should do that!”

“Yes, I agree. I should do that as soon as possible.”

“…”

“I would just looove to do that.”

“…”

“…yeah so you’re not going to tell me how, are you.”

But anyway. All registered! Can’t darn wait to influence the workings of my country! And while I can’t be sure what countries you all are from, I can encourage you to vote for one thing.

Word of the year!

Words are important! Communication is important…and this list is fun. So cast your vote in and see which word is crowned Word of the Year 2007.

By the way: I voted Babymoon. I don’t even know what it is, just look at it.

Yep, another intelligent voter joining the ranks!

8 Responses to “Rock the Vote”

1. on 07 Dec 2007 at 2:45 pm Andy

of course, I voted for w00t.
    because where would we be without the word w00t?
    Nowhere, that’s where.

2. on 08 Dec 2007 at 11:24 pm lindsey

i voted for w00t too.
    i don’t use it, but everyone i know does…
    it’s by far the word of the year.

3. on 09 Dec 2007 at 1:05 pm GOD

yep i voted for w00t but it has zeros in it so is it still a word? (my fav. word is 133t)

4. on 09 Dec 2007 at 2:32 pm Finicky Penguin

I voted for wOOt! W007!

5. on 09 Dec 2007 at 4:10 pm Lukie

You are right they always talk to you about voting but they never tell you how to register. Something they should really talk about in high school.

6. on 09 Dec 2007 at 4:25 pm Vexworth

I voted for Pecksniffian.
    The fact that that either is or could possibly be a word makes me all gleeful inside.

7. on 09 Dec 2007 at 9:39 pm Lisa

My vote also went to babymoon. For those unfamiliar with the term, check out http://www.babymoonguide.com

8. on 12 Dec 2007 at 12:36 pm Dave

Nobody showed you how to register? I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone using that excuse for not voting; in most states the process is dead-easy. Some would say too easy, and usually blame the opposing party of trying to stack the registrations in their favor. The process varies from state to state, but a good start is just Google voter registration and the name of your state.

Most respectable organizations – schools or whatever – avoid “showing” people how to register to vote because of the appearance of impropriety that it presents, just as you don’t want other people “helping” you vote.