…may very well cost Spirit Airlines very dearly.

Basically, a couple lost a lot of money when their flight with Spirit Airline was delayed, so they, disgruntled, wanted compensation for this, and for the poor customer service.

To achieve this, they wrote an e-mail to the CEO, and several other Spirit employees, explaining what they wanted. The CEO, apparently not knowing much about this crazy email stuff, or how to do things like, not be a total idiot, hits “reply to all” and sends the following message:

“Please respond, Pasquale, but we owe him nothing as far as I’m concerned. Let him tell the world how bad we are. He’s never flown us before anyway and will be back when we save him a penny.”

This reply was sent to his employees, and also to the customers.

“LET HIM TELL THE WORLD HOW BAD WE ARE.” …Done and done.

I don’t care whether or not the customers had a good argument or not, I don’t care whether the CEO was right and the airline owes them nothing…in this age of light-speed communication, a CEO cannot afford to be a callous jerk and e-mail impaired at the same time. Because when somebody says something like that, and allows it to become public…well…pretty soon the whole world does know how bad you are.

“he…will be back when we save him a penny.” No, Spirit. No, I don’t think he will be.

10 Responses to “The Difference Between “Reply” and “Reply to All””

1. on 28 Aug 2007 at 7:23 am Alex

I hate Reply to all, but bot smart of the CEO. Most are smart enough to not compose emails themselves anyway, both because they’d be overwhelmed and so they don’t have to deal with this sort of thing. Hire a secretary if you’re a hothead.

What an idiot.

2. on 28 Aug 2007 at 12:54 pm Chris

I’m just about always on our side of the fence when it comes to these issues with big business but this is clearly sarcasm. He’s not owning up to the grand scheme of offering bad service, he’s referring to the customers’ backlash on an issue that may be an absurd customer rant for all we know. I actually wish companies could be more Frank & less customer service acting.

3. on 28 Aug 2007 at 3:27 pm BOSSY

The thought of confusing “reply” and “reply all” makes Bossy drink Gin in big gulps.

4. on 29 Aug 2007 at 10:08 am Nessa

Karma.

5. on 30 Aug 2007 at 12:39 am Bunk

Ditto that, Nessa. (Google “Karma Ghost” if anyone else needs proof.)

6. on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:52 am matt

I’m not 100% positive, but my intuition tells me the customers didn’t get a discount.

7. on 31 Aug 2007 at 11:54 am beckbee

Reply-All offenders should be horsewhipped simply because they irritate me, but I don’t think this CEO did anything wrong other than click the wrong button.

I hope those folks don’t get a discount or anything…too many people don’t plan well then blame someone else for their cost-cutting, corner-tearing ways.

sheesh.

8. on 03 Sep 2007 at 7:36 am MsRebecca

I replied to all only one time, now I’m homeless..

9. on 05 Sep 2007 at 12:20 am Matt Attack

That’s just awesome.

I’m sure if any other employee did that, they’d be severely reprimanded if not fired.

10. on 06 May 2008 at 1:09 pm Stefanie S.

I’m quite surprised. I’ve flown Spirit many times and never had a problem.

I do find it quite amazing that he wouldn’t take three more seconds to make sure it was being sent to the right people.

:O Good thing I’m not flying Spirit for my next trip!