Toilet area

China has just unveiled what could be the world’s largest restroom – a towering 4 story building with over 1,000 toilets spread out over its 30,000 square feet. The restroom complex includes both indoor and outdoor toilets, some that can be viewed from nearby (I wonder if this is an attraction for some users?). Many toilets are custom made or unusually shaped, and some areas also have TVs and “gentle music” according to Lu Xiaoqing, an official with the area tourism bureau.

As an extra attraction for tourists, locals are hoping the bathroom will be certified as the world’s largest by the Guiness Book of World Records soon. They also expect people to come back for more … as stated by Lu: “after they use the bathroom they will be very, very happy.”. Right.

CNN has more info + a video of this crazy place. Via The Presurfer.

20 Responses to “The world’s largest bathroom?”

1. on 02 Aug 2007 at 8:25 pm Alpaca The Awesome

Is that a mouth with pointed teeth in the bottom-left corner? I wonder what that could be for…

2. on 03 Aug 2007 at 12:44 am Bunk

Alpaca– That’s the dragonbaby changing station. (The others in the back are oversized Kit-Kat clocks that allow the users to piss their time away.)

3. on 04 Aug 2007 at 4:33 pm Alpaca The Awesome

That seems safe.

4. on 15 Aug 2007 at 8:18 pm Heidi

I don’t even like using public toilets in my own country. Why would I go to visit someone else’s country to try out *their* public toilets? I doubt theirs would be any cleaner.

And *God*, can you *imagine* being a janitor in that place? You’d be cleaning toilets your entire shift!

5. […] that, here’s another bit of toilet-related news to round out our coverage: It’s the world’s largest bathroom in China, spread out over 4 floors and 30,000 square […]

6. on 18 Aug 2007 at 8:10 pm doris frakes

the toilets look nasty to me . I would not use them.

7. on 18 Aug 2007 at 8:22 pm DWilliford

This just goes to show you some people have alot of time on there hands

8. on 18 Aug 2007 at 10:09 pm A&W

Looks to me that some people have a lot of money to flush down the toilet.

9. on 18 Aug 2007 at 10:12 pm A&W

Did you see who the article was written by?
    Anita Bath (I need a bath). How ironic.

10. on 18 Aug 2007 at 10:16 pm popita18

thats one cool bathroom…i wouldnt mind if my bathroom were that size but i bit cleaner and more colorful…

lol =]

11. on 18 Aug 2007 at 10:41 pm Dee

Lots of seats, walls, floors but has anyone noticed there are no doors. Peeing must be a spectator sport in China. LOL

12. on 18 Aug 2007 at 10:45 pm Karen Jane

More pictures please….

13. on 18 Aug 2007 at 11:07 pm Andrea

At least the Chinese are evolving — I don’t see any holes in the floor. They still have some progress to make — install doors on the stalls. Geez. Do Chinese still drink urine for “health” purposes? I wonder if they bottle it straight from the source. Maybe that’s why this bathroom is so big; are they bottling urine at the source? maybe PepsiCo had a hand in this one LOL!

14. on 19 Aug 2007 at 1:39 am NICOLEEE

I would never even go near one of them… How could they possibly clean all of them? It even looks dirty and dingy.. Gross..

15. on 19 Aug 2007 at 2:06 am chele

How many stories?………PEA EWE

16. […] that, here’s another bit of toilet-related news to round out our coverage: It’s the world’s largest bathroom in China, spread out over four floors and 30,000 square feet. These icons link to social […]

17. on 01 Sep 2007 at 7:42 pm Chuck E Starr

Good thing that restroom is not here in America! It would take the combined efforts of 3 states worth of POLICE to do run a sting operation on the MENS ROOM! It’s bad enough now with no cops when you need one!

18. on 18 Jan 2008 at 12:17 am LooLoo

O.K. What I really want to know is what is all that muck (white-ish substance) on the floor? Also, are there urinal cakes in every single one of them? That would need one heck of a “bakery”. Notice that noone is in there!!! Where are the sinks for HANDWASHING???? Or do you just run your hands under the flush flow. With China’s issues with overpopulation and economy, couldn’t this kind of money be used for more appropriately.

19. on 30 Apr 2008 at 2:53 am Deb

Hi ! Well thats some thing I have never seen and heard before. Amazing stuff. Well would try and visit the place someday…:).

20. on 14 Aug 2009 at 8:19 pm yay

lol it was posted the same day as my birth day :] and now i have an urge to use the bathroom o.o