Funny law breakers

And that’s not to say, law breakers who are funny as much as it is to say, those who break funny laws. Two British fellows got their hands on a list of 25 absurd old American laws and decided to break them each, then post a photo journal of their misdeeds:

You can get arrested for that!

It’s a funny read, though if they think that there are only 25 weird laws in the US, they are sorely mistaken.

A few of my favorites (all from my home state):

No one may stand on the sidewalk on the 500 block of Illinois Ave in Carbondale.

Chicago: Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire. Also, it is forbidden to fish while sitting on a giraffe’s neck.

I love this one: In Evanston it is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire. What?!

Look up your state (if you have one) and share your favorites, there are too many for me to go through by myself!

6 Responses to “Funny law breakers”

1. on 02 Aug 2007 at 7:01 pm Alex

In Baltimore it’s illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits.

I actually knew that one, but wanted to grab the more exact phrasing (which I found on Arundel Guide) and found some others in the process.

Also in Baltimore it’s illegal to take a lion to the movies. You can get a $10 fine if you’re in a public park with a sleeveless shirt. This would include joggers that go shirtless. You may not curse inside the city limit. It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor within 1 week of the Easter holiday.

In Maryland (in its entirety I guess) thistles may not grow in your yard.

In Baltimore City you may spit on a city roadway, but spitting on city sidewalks is prohibited.

In Rockville you may not swear while on the highway.

2. on 02 Aug 2007 at 7:16 pm jeremy

I know in NY if you have more than three native Americans walking together it’s considered a raiding war party, and of course illegal. I used to grab my friends and pretend to raid things sometimes. Between the four of us we made maybe a whole native american.

3. on 02 Aug 2007 at 8:25 pm Pete Aldin

No eating fish on a giraffe’s neck? Dammit! There goes my lunch date!

4. on 02 Aug 2007 at 8:29 pm Alpaca The Awesome

Theres a similar thing in the Pocono region of PA. It states that 5 or more Native Americans together is a raiding party and may be SHOT ON SIGHT!

5. on 02 Aug 2007 at 10:26 pm Gymn

Dumb TX Laws: It is illegal to sell one’s eye.
    When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
    It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
    A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
    The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
    Clarendon: It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster.
    Landing an airplane on the beach is illegal.
    Houston:Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.
    Mesquite:It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts. (Isn’t this a matter of opinion?)

6. on 05 Aug 2007 at 4:44 am Andy

Here’s my favourite!

In Ohio, no one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.

Let’s all start planning a bank robbery for next year!