Oh, and there was a guy attached.

I don’t have an iPod, and since I’m poor I’ll probably never own one, but if I ever do, I sure as heck won’t go jogging with it in a thunderstorm.

Actually, I’ll probably never go jogging anyway.

Anyhow, the man had the mp3 player strapped to his chest. When lightning struck him, I guess it focused on the metal music player and then travelled up the ear-phones to zap him in the head.

It zapped him both in his chest (where some important stuff is, I’m told), and also in the head (where some other important stuff is, at least for most). But, surprisingly, he lives, and is undergoing treatment for hearing loss.

A friend of mine went to camp, where one of the councellors was explaining to them the correct way to behave during a thunderstorm. Taking advantage of the thunderstorm going on, he stood up and under a tree, where he began to say, “This is the wrong place to stand during a–” but was cut off, as lightning struck him.

seriously, ouch.
“Ow.”

He also was fine.

But I always thought lightning would be such an interesting way to go: this whole iPod element adds a brand new interesting dimention. So tell me, if you were out with your mp3 player in a storm, and were struck by lightning, what would you want the last song you ever heard to be?

I get a kick out of imagining them finding my extra-crispy cadaver by the road, and finding…”It seems she was listening to…’Greased Lightning'”

14 Responses to “iPod gets struck by lightning…”

1. on 15 Jul 2007 at 3:32 am Bunk

Okay, lemme get this right… Assuming I had an mp3 player, and assuming I got caught outside in an electrical storm, and assuming I got struck by lightning, what would my favorite last song be?
    Lou Reed’s “White Lightning White Heat.” Better yet, Frank Zappa’s “Black Beauty” (after it’s made its way from 6/8 to 1/1 time).
    No way would my mp3 player have anything by Lou Christie on it. Strike me dead by any means if that happens.

2. on 15 Jul 2007 at 5:44 am matt

“Knock on Wood” also seems like an appropriate song for a couple of different reasons. Oh the irony.

3. on 15 Jul 2007 at 9:07 am celtic

anything by lightning bolt.. hm.

4. on 16 Jul 2007 at 4:16 am Koesper

Why does the song “Danger! High Voltage” from Electric Six come to mind?

5. on 16 Jul 2007 at 11:35 am CraigC

Anything by AC/DC, but preferably something from “High Voltage.”

6. on 16 Jul 2007 at 5:41 pm Erica

This is related to the story.

7. on 17 Jul 2007 at 10:21 am Advoor

All that and he’s just suffering from hearing loss? Lucky.. I aint getting out now

8. on 17 Jul 2007 at 1:23 pm Micky

Thunderstruck by AC DC

9. on 17 Jul 2007 at 3:15 pm zogmama

Lightning Strikes by Aerosmith, or anything by Lightnin Hopkins. Ugh. Too obvious.

10. on 17 Jul 2007 at 3:22 pm zogmama

Ooh! Can I go again? Go!Team has a CD called Thunder & Lightning (or something like that) and there’s a great song called Huddle Formation on it. I’d pick that, ’cause it makes me smile every time I hear it.

11. on 17 Jul 2007 at 5:24 pm raj

LOL nice question, I would love to die listening to “Blaze of Glory” by Jon Bon Jovi

12. on 17 Jul 2007 at 10:07 pm MG

I would have to agree with Craig on this one. High Voltage by ACDC. Most appropo indeed.
    Is the photo related to the story?

13. on 18 Jul 2007 at 6:34 pm Karen

Well, it’s related to the story in that it is a picture of lightning…but it is not a picture of the lightning that attacked the iPod man in question. I just thought it was impressive enough to fit 😛

14. on 27 Sep 2010 at 2:36 am GB

Had very little time the other day to get my jog in, there was only a little bit of lightning, but determined to get my run in, wearing my ipod shuffle. Halfway through my run lightning got really bad. Then came the moment, my eyelids shuttered closed, my eyes felt like they rolled to the back of my head and I saw a really bright red flash. Didn’t hear anything. But I guess you wouldn’t hear the one that gets you. It was all over in a flash literally. I was fine. I stayed on my feet throughout and finished my run with a greater sense of urgency to get home. By the way I was listening to Arabic language lessons.