Surfing around earlier today led me to a website I haven’t visited in at least four years, but I believe in doing one’s part to conserve the endangered species, so allow me to share this link with you.

While sadly the “Adoption” link is now broken, here you can find out a bit about the amazing creatures we call traffic cones, and all they do and have done for mankind. I bet you didn’t realize just how far back the history of the traffic cone went, but perhaps this knowledge will equip you to go out and help preserve this gentle helper of the streets, and never let its contributions to the world go unthanked.

6 Responses to “The Traffic Cone Preservation Society”

1. on 20 Jun 2007 at 2:54 pm Erica

FYI, Amy, who did the Muffin Films, is also behind this humorous site. My friends and I found it quite addictive back in college. Thanks for reminding me of an old favorite!

2. on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:42 pm Michael Garcia

Ha! Those cones look like what we have here in ABQ, NM at a rate of about 80%! It seems like every major artery here is populated by these orange, gentle, but very annoying icons of the auto age!

3. on 21 Jun 2007 at 4:22 am Freelance Cynic

Ah Coney…. the first plastic creature made extinct by the hand of man…

4. on 21 Jun 2007 at 2:36 pm Nessa

We have two cones being preserved in our backyard (they cover the horseshoe posts so no one gets impaled.)

5. on 21 Jun 2007 at 8:45 pm Pete Aldin

What the …? Oh, it’s a joke. I get it, I get it. (Great site)

6. on 28 Jun 2007 at 7:04 pm Dave

The old fashioned rubbery traffic cones are disappearing around here, being replaced by those ugly hard plastic things with the reflector tape on them. I think it’s a planned obsolescence thing; the old style was too durable.

A lady I once worked with had a funny noise coming from the front of her car, so she took it to the shop. The mechanic had a good laugh when he found a traffic cone lodged in her wheel well. She apparently ran it over at some point and there it stayed.