While grocery store clerks have been creatively stacking cans for over a century, only recently did “Canstruction” emerge as a recognized art form (complete with annual competitions held throughout the world). Over the past four years, there’s been thousands of great canstruction sculptures created, but here are a few of my favorites:

“Can we fix it? Yes we CAN!”
Bob the builder from cans

“I was looking for Chicken of the Sea, but ran into this!”
Mermaid

Mario – the ultimate CAN-do plumbler:
Mario Made from Cans

If Snoopy gets hungry, he can just open up a can of Woodstock. Yumm.
Snoopy Cans

“Canstruction workers” even have their own special spot for when they have to “use the can”:
On the can

pics via Compfused, Kotaku , and Canstruction Arkansas.

13 Responses to “Canstruction – Stacked Can Art”

1. on 09 Jun 2007 at 12:32 am Bunk

And I’m just the type of SNTC guy to take the one somewhere on the bottom left just to see what happens… and none would topple.

2. on 09 Jun 2007 at 12:34 am Anita Bath

Bunk – I’d love to see you try to take one of the bottom ones on this Can Mobius. 😉

3. on 09 Jun 2007 at 1:50 am Bunk

Excellent post by the way. Gimme a roundtrip ticket, Anita! If it falls, it falls. BUT IT WON’T. Bunk knows how.

Let’s make it fun. I need four round trip tickets for a family vacation, my choice of a destination.

If I can see the set up of the cans (not just a photo, I want the drawings that went into it) I’ll take ONE out of the lowest third, and the “sculpture” will remain standing, less one can.

I must be allowed to use any tools I might need to pull it off.

Start a collection on SNTC. You and/or Ben may record the event for a future post. If the sculpture falls, then the extra proceeds go to the charity indicated on the website, a foodbank. If it doesn’t, the same rules apply, but I reserve the right to designate the beneficial charity.

I generally abhor typing “LOL” but I’ll make an exception in your case.

Bunk

4. on 09 Jun 2007 at 7:45 am nessa

This is how I stack the cans in my pantry.

5. on 09 Jun 2007 at 7:15 pm Bunk

Folks, my previous post sure seemed like a good idea late last night. Today, though, I have a different opinion, and retract the comment. Mea Culpa.

6. on 09 Jun 2007 at 7:44 pm Mr. Fabulous

Wow, I had no idea this was such a big deal Those are awesome!

7. on 11 Jun 2007 at 6:19 am rickleaf.com »

[…] Canstruction – a newly emerging art style. […]

8. on 11 Jun 2007 at 6:26 pm themolk

That’s incredible… another example of people with way too much time on their hands! :)

9. […] L’arte si crea in tutti i modi […]

10. on 12 Jun 2007 at 5:13 pm The Big Fez

I’d buy more canned goods if the store displays were this good. Brilliant!

11. on 14 Jun 2007 at 9:41 am clangnuts

If only stores actually had displays like these. Pity they seem confined to art galleries.

12. on 18 Jun 2007 at 8:52 pm Starve for Your Art | Just Whatever

[…] found at Say No To Crack but there are a few more at CompFused. Share […]

13. on 25 May 2010 at 2:23 pm Adriene Fields

just creative. Look what we can do. Awesome.