In today’s overweight, yet thin-obsessed, society it’s hard to imagine a time when gaining weight was a major problem (and goal) for many young women. Here’s an advertisement from the November 1934 of Physical Culture, aimed at quickly providing women with those few extra pounds (click for full size pic):

Kelp O Malt Advertisement - How to Gain Weight

Who wouldn’t want to gain “at least 5 lbs. of good, firm flesh in 1 week”? For some reason Kelp-A-Malt doesn’t seem to be on sale anymore … maybe McDonalds, Häagen-Dazs, and Television proved to be too much competition?

via Modern Mechanix via Digg.

13 Responses to “Back When Women Wanted to GAIN Weight!”

1. on 28 May 2007 at 8:57 pm erin

Do you think pa-donk-a-donk butt will ever be in style??? God, I hope so!!!

2. on 29 May 2007 at 8:57 am Mr. Fabulous

Ah, those were the days!

3. on 29 May 2007 at 6:57 pm themolk

I’ll happily donate to anyone that wants to put on any weight in a hurry – I’ve plenty to offer (although I am working on it myself). Perhaps all I need is an ad like this…?! 😉

4. on 30 May 2007 at 9:19 am BOSSY

Yet another way to add 5 pounds in one week with no cost: stop jogging. (while continuing the usual indulgences)

5. on 31 May 2007 at 7:05 am Miss Cellania

You also have to look at the year. During the Great Depression, many didn’t have enough money for adequate groceries, so looking well-fed would have been a status symbol. Just like a tan, which was a sign of lower-class people who had to work outdoors until the mid-20th century. Now more people work indoors and a tan is a symbol of those who don’t have to work all day and can afford a backyard pool.

6. on 31 May 2007 at 10:04 am Anita Bath

Miss C – great point! I didn’t even think of that … although it’s hard to imagine these girls didn’t realize that they could eat quite a few fatty meals for less than the price of 1 bottle of tablets.

7. on 31 May 2007 at 3:39 pm meleah rebeccah

I hate the “starving look” even though I am a victim of always wanting to be thinner myself!

8. on 31 May 2007 at 7:35 pm PZR

The skinny girl needs a chiropractor more than she needs five pounds — that posture gives ME a backache.

9. […] Visto en Saynotocrack […]

10. on 09 Jun 2007 at 2:51 am Leigh

Great Post!

11. on 27 Jul 2007 at 1:20 pm Brandon

THIS IS ABOUT BIGGER BOOBS

I think it’s pretty obvious, this isn’t about gaining weight. It’s about getting bigger boobs, but the times were too modest to say it outright.

Look at the photos. One girl has big boobs and the other dose not. They aren’t different weights. Also, the line, “5 pounds of flesh”. I guess that seems about right.

12. on 06 Feb 2008 at 9:29 pm Brock

i aggree with the boobs post its totally true i meen look at those jugs

13. on 15 Jul 2009 at 5:50 am skinny girl

that was ignorant..it aint about boobs at all about curves…im skinny with full cup tiddies and i would love to gain more than 5lbs per week.