My lovely wife was out of wine this evening. That in itself is not bad, but I was just about out of beer. Wisely, I volunteered to make a quick run down to the local grocery store, and axed if anyone else needed anything. My kids spoke up. They wanted those fruit things. You know. Sticky fruit things. “Fruit Leathers?” I asked, and the correct answer bells went off all over the house. Even the cat jumped up and ran outside to where cats belong.

So I went down to the local market, looking for fruit leathers, figuring that they must be somewhere between the canned artichoke hearts and the Liquid Plumber. I wandered for a while until a worker bee, who didn’t know what fruit leathers were either, directed me to the “ethnic aisle”. No one in California knows what fruit leathers are unless they have already made their peace with God and spend a lot of their time reminiscing about street cars and people named Walter.

I found the aisle. I found dried mango slices. Good enough, I thought, until I found a bag of things right next to them labeled “IGDE PSHAT”.

I arrived at the checkout stand with a bottle of wine, some cheap beer, dehydrated mango slices, and a bag of Igde Pshat, and NO ONE questioned me. Spooky.

Igde Pshat bag

I later found out that they knew something I had completely glossed over. Igde Pshat has almost no nutrients, but it tastes pretty good. One serving is listed as eight of the little roach-sized buggers, according to the label.

Eating eight gives you all the 29 grams of sugar you need to live another four days. If you eat 57, you might as well stay on the potty until noon, and consider the risk of diabetes. Eat 80 and you have your daily carbs, and you’re sugar-wired. If you eat 400 daily, all your calcium and iron is accounted for, too, and you’ll live to the ripe old age of 37.

Igde Pshat

IS THIS THE PERFECT SNACK FOOD, OR WHAT? No significant nutritional value, it’s grown in third world countries, tastes good, and it’s cheaper than dried mango. And no, it doesn’t taste like Pshat.

44 Responses to “How I met Igde Pshat”

1. on 15 May 2007 at 7:13 pm Miss Cellania

Looks and sounds like dates to me. All sweet, and laxative too!

2. on 15 May 2007 at 7:35 pm Erica

BTW, you can get Fruita Bu (organic fruit leather) at most grocery stores. It’s with the fruit snacks and Pop Tarts and such. :)

3. on 15 May 2007 at 9:33 pm fluffman86

“Even the cat jumped up and ran outside to where cats belong.”

EL OH EL! That is the funniest thing you have ever written, Bunk…and it’s true, too! 😀

4. on 15 May 2007 at 10:56 pm Bunk Strutts

Keep guessing folks. I found out what they are and where they come from. Mrs. Strutts thought they were dates too (and she’s had a lot of them… um, but not recently and, uh, well, they’re NOT dates.)

I’ll watch the comments drizzle in and give a full report this weekend, if I’m not on the potty.

P.S. Thanks gobs for the complimenet, fluffman. Actually, the funniest thing I’ve ever written can’t be posted on this site. Yet.

5. on 16 May 2007 at 7:18 am Daniel Kim

I remember looking through a friend’s pantry and finding cans of foul medammas. I couldn’t bring myself to ask what they were (rolling on the floor makes it hard to formulate a query), but my wife decided that if she were to have medammas, she would want good ones, now foul ones.

Here’s a picture of some.

They’re some kind of Egyptian fava bean dish.

6. on 16 May 2007 at 12:17 pm Deniz

It’s just sweetened, dried olives.

7. on 16 May 2007 at 1:14 pm mylife64

Hmm.. It looks more like an olive to me.. Maybe Russian judging by the name, Igde.. Am I right? Do I get a gold star and a cookie? 😀

8. on 16 May 2007 at 1:17 pm Anita Bath

I doubt it’s olives … olives have tons of fat and nutrients, it looks like Igde has none of that. Just sugar, sweet sweet sugar. I’m guessing that Miss C.’s guess is a lot closer to the truth than olives.

Or perhaps they really are nature’s fruit leathers. Yummm.

9. on 16 May 2007 at 1:32 pm jaekel4

I Googled “Igde Pshat” and the only possibility they had was this exact blog entry. HHHHMMMMMMMMM.

10. on 16 May 2007 at 11:39 pm Bunk Strutts

All of your guesses are getting close. The fruit is a drupe, distant relative to the cherry. It’s mildly sweet, kinda like a fig, but with a grainy texture that takes getting used to.

mylife64– You are close to the nickname, but not the region. You have half a star so far.

jaekel4– No, it’s not photoshopped. I scanned the bag and didn’t doctor the scan. The picture of the “de-bagged” fruits are from a website that sells them. Real stuff.

Keep guessing. I’ll have a bag shipped to the first who gets it right before I fess up an tell all.

11. on 17 May 2007 at 1:38 pm mylife64

How about a Jujube? I think these really want to be jujubes/red dates/chinese dates.

12. on 17 May 2007 at 1:45 pm mylife64

Some info…

JUJUBE – Shiny, reddish-brown, date-like fruit. Sweet apple flavor; when candied and dried, resembles dates. Needs hot summer for fruit to ripen, especially good in desert areas. Attractive shiny leaves. A small tree reaching 15-20 ft. in 15 yrs, maybe to 30 ft. with more time. Hardy to -10 degrees F. Ripens Fall. (From http://www.sheridangardens.com/theorchard_fruittreelist.htm#Jujube)

13. on 17 May 2007 at 5:24 pm CheeseDuck

I found something on Pshat.

14. on 17 May 2007 at 7:16 pm JT

Those are Prairie Oysters. AKA Bull testicles.

15. on 18 May 2007 at 3:10 am Bunk Strutts

Mylife64– Nope. Good guess, though.

CheeseDuck– Interesting moniker. You’re getting closer. Pshat/Peshat apparently means “plain” in Hebrew and/or Farsi.

JT– Wrong. But please tell us about them sometime.

Another hint: It also grows wild in the U.S., and it’s hard to eradicate once established.

16. on 18 May 2007 at 8:46 am Daniel Kim

OK . . . they’re dried, sweetened goat turds with a shiny glaze.

17. on 18 May 2007 at 10:47 am Kathy

From my 5 minutes of research, idge is the Turkish word for oleaster. “The fruit is edible and sweet, though with a dryish mealy texture.

Link here: texture”.http://www.answers.com/topic/russian-olive#after_ad1

You can buy it here:

18. on 18 May 2007 at 10:52 am Deniz

It’s Oleaster! AKA the “russian olive”
    Can you hook a brother up with a bag?!?!? Did I win?

oleaster – common name for members of the Elaeagnaceae, a family principally of shrubs with leathery leaves and a dense covering of glistening hairs. Most members of the family are steppe and rock plants of the Northern Hemisphere; a few species are indigenous to the United States. Several are cultivated as hardy ornamental shrubs, especially the buffalo berry ( Shepherdia argentea ), whose edible fruits were gathered by Native Americans and by the Alaskan Eskimos; the common oleasters ( Elaeagnus angustifolia and related species); and the sea buckthorn ( Hippophaë rhamnoides ), a native of the Old World.

19. on 18 May 2007 at 10:54 am Deniz

did i win? do i get a bag? I promise to eat every one and send you pictures of me doing it.

20. on 18 May 2007 at 11:01 am Deniz

More on the delectable treat sold as igde pshat.
    My mouth waters in anticipation.

21. on 18 May 2007 at 11:43 am Bunk Strutts

DING!DING!DING!DING!DING! WE HAVE A WEINER!

Deniz, you are absolutely correct!
    You got a bag ‘o igdes coming.

Now I have to figger out how to get your address and keep your personal information private. Any suggestions?

22. on 18 May 2007 at 12:03 pm Deniz

This special occasion has merited the birth of a new email account specifically for this day.

Mr. Bunk Strutts can email me at my brand new email address igdepshat@yahoo.com, and I’ll give you my work address. I can’t wait. My office mates and I will document the feasting of our delectable igde pshat with pride.

23. on 18 May 2007 at 1:26 pm Bunk Strutts

Dang! What a contestant, jumping up and down and stuff! Wish you had a webcam set up for this glorious event. I’ll forward email in a bit.

24. on 18 May 2007 at 1:47 pm Bunk Strutts

HOLD THE PHONES… I BLEW IT. KATHY BEAT OUT DENIZ BY SEVERAL MINUTES.

In order to save face and reduce my time in purgatory for this grievous oversight, I declare a tie. Kathy, you get a bag as well.

(Kathy, are YOU jumping up and down and stuff, too? Give me a way to contact you like Deniz did and I’ll fulfill my obligation.)

25. on 18 May 2007 at 2:08 pm Kathy

No need to ship a bag to me as well, Deniz seems excited to have the idge and can report back. I do, however, expect pictures. After that, I can pick some up if the craving truly strikes. Thank you for the offer and a fun morning project. I hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

26. on 18 May 2007 at 4:00 pm Deniz

Kathy, you are a gentlewoman of the highest degree. I’m sure you will enjoy the pictures of me enjoying handfuls of igde pshat.

27. on 18 May 2007 at 7:27 pm mylife64

Ohhh.. So thats why I only got half a gold star. 😀

Awesome job guys! Grats!

What a fun mystery! I am anxiously awaiting your full documentation of the monumentous event, Deniz.

Have a great weekend, all!

28. on 18 May 2007 at 11:15 pm Bunk Strutts

Oh, by the way, the picture really WAS photoshopped, and they really ARE “dried, sweetened goat turds with a shiny glaze” as Daniel Kim guessed.

(Don’t tell Deniz… wait for the pictures.)

29. […] the story of how Bunk met Igde Pshat: Link […]

30. on 28 May 2007 at 3:24 am Pyracantha

I believe that these dried fruits are known in Iran as SENJED and are especially used during the Persian New Year (NoRuz) celebrations. The traditional “NoRuz Table” is laid out with many symbolic fruits, vegetables, and other items, among them a bowl of dried Senjed fruits. It’s a very ancient celebration dating back to the Persian Empire, if not before.

31. on 28 May 2007 at 8:45 am Ringers vs. Trekkies | Power Webblog

[…] the world ceased to make sense! Of course, it did help when I came down off the three bags of fruit leathers and got out of the washing machine, but still! […]

32. on 28 May 2007 at 5:42 pm Bunk

Welcome Neatorama perusers!
    (Stay tuned for an igde pshat update coming to a website near you.)

33. on 04 Jun 2007 at 8:54 am Karikatur

i’m a turkish boy and i like it very much. Your words is very funny for me.

34. on 04 Jun 2007 at 11:16 am ozgur gezgin

so yummy. taste it.

35. on 04 Jun 2007 at 4:42 pm Selim

len ona bizde “iÄŸde” derler, ye de dadına (tadına) bak…. :)

36. on 04 Jun 2007 at 4:52 pm Cagatay

I am from Turkey too. If you come to Turkey you can eat “igde” from its tree :)… while you are walking in a street too. Also this tree smells very good in spring. You must smell it…

37. on 05 Jun 2007 at 1:05 pm WooDy

LOL… :)

I wanna kill myself :)

This fruit is not Olive. It doesnt look like an olive it’s taste is verrrryyy diffrent then olive..

We called it “Ä°ÄžDE”

If you want to eat real olive or real igde visit Turkey’s western villages…

Note : Eat both of them and lough yourself

38. on 21 Jul 2007 at 7:02 am azad

Hi,the Taxonomy name of this fruit is Elaeagnus angustifolia and one of its local name is Russian olive.but it is not olive and it is not enen belong to olive family.in taxonomy ,its family is Elaeagnaceae.in my country,iran,we call it “Senjed” and lots of ladies use it becoues of its effects on the osteoblast.specially those who reach menopause.
    cheers,
    azadeh

39. on 02 Sep 2007 at 1:23 am Pelin

I see a bunch of Turkish people replied, and you see they all know what it is. And the Iranian dude, who gives some great info. In Turkey it’s called “igde” and is pronounced “E-day” with the accent on the second syllable. The skin is thick and as sweet as the inside, which is super dry, almost powdery. I’m not surprised to learn this fruit has almost no nutritional value. But for all the denial of its relation to the olive, the pit is very similar.

40. on 25 Sep 2007 at 12:41 am Bunk

EPILOGUE

After privately trading information with Deniz,Igdes were shipped to him in May as promised via the website that sells them.

Deniz had agreed to provide a photo of himself eating the treats, in a field surrounded by goats [see comment from 18 May 2007 above]. Tbe photo was to be either real, or photoshopped, in order to cap the joke.

There has been no word since from Deniz. I just hope he wasn’t deported for eating Igdes with goats.

Deniz has left the building.

Bunk

41. […] I’d pick them over Igde Pshat, except that the Idges are free, and you can’t pick Cheetos in the wild. […]

42. on 04 Apr 2008 at 3:07 am Ozlem

Well, about its nutrition value; although, no prove, I bet it has a lot of fiber. I noticed changes in digesting system. Eat 20-a-day, you’ll see the difference; and about it growing in 3rd countries. How does it know which is a 3-word-country. Does it do some research before planting itself. Has anyone heard it saying “Oh! Here is a 3-world-country, I think I am going to grove here” That was a very funny/silly statement. I had to ask that, cus it groves in my country, and I refuse Turkey is a 3-world-coutry..

43. on 19 May 2008 at 1:31 am Bunk Strutts

Ozlem– Igdes grow in the US also… but here they’re considered an invasive species, as they’re very hard to get rid of once established. The post was all in fun, with lots of fiber. –Bunk

44. […] can tolerate microwaved frozen sliders, and experienced the joys of igde pshat and the Habañero, but I have to draw the line at this canned delicacy. For […]