Super Mario Cake

For some reason, themed designer wedding cakes are now all the rage. I’ve seen cakes shaped like dolphins, islands, and luggage (my brother-in-law’s suitcase cake was so realistic the photographer tried to pick it up).

However, for geeks like me, nothing really compares to the Super Mario Cake:

Super Mario Wedding Cake

The entire cake, except for the Mario and Princess on top, are completely edible. I’m particularly amazed at the level of detail … check out these close-ups of a koopa troopa and piranha plants.

Koopa Troopa on Mario Cake

Mario eating plants on cake

Does anyone know what tricks a modern day cake artisan utilizes to create such a masterpiece, and how much it costs? For serious gaming fans, the cost would totally be worth it. Too bad my wife would have never agreed.

via Super Mario Cake Flickr set

15 Responses to “Super Mario Cake”

1. on 01 May 2007 at 12:16 am H.

Here’s a lot of info about sugarcraft, with examples of fantasy and gaming themes.

2. on 01 May 2007 at 2:58 am Christopher Trottier

While we’re at it, I might as well share with you the post that made me famous: The Most Frustrating Mario Mod Ever. If I ever actually played this level, I would not eat from that wedding cake.

3. on 01 May 2007 at 9:08 am Mrs. ThePoint » Super Mario Cake

[…] Say No To Crack  […]

4. on 01 May 2007 at 10:16 am BOSSY

Bossy’s still trying to figure out how to spread that prepackaged icing.

5. on 01 May 2007 at 8:42 pm Erica

I LOVE it!!!

6. on 02 May 2007 at 7:23 am Paul Chislett

Hey! No fair – raw meat right after a picture of a yummy cake!!??

Great site!

Paul

7. on 02 May 2007 at 12:03 pm Lee

That is the coolest cake I’ve ever seen, hands down.

8. on 04 May 2007 at 8:22 pm Missy

That’s AWESOME!

9. on 14 May 2007 at 10:46 pm WokkingMum

Wow!!! It’s beautiful!

10. […] made of consoles, but real flour power nonetheless. The craftsmanship on this thing is remarkable, to say the […]

11. on 26 Nov 2007 at 6:20 pm blog

hi…

exellent…

12. on 22 Feb 2008 at 4:22 am Hidey

How they made this badass cake:

Fondant, gum paste, food coloring, and cake. Fondant is what wedding cakes are covered with instead of icing in order to get that smooth, fake looking surface like the flat surfaces of the cake. All of the details (including the shells and piranha plants) are most likely made with gum paste. Gum paste is much like Sculptey(?sp) clay that you bake in the overn except it’s edible.

Just remember though…no matter how cool it looks, both fondant and gum paste taste like crap. Fondant is like plastic rubber sugar sheets and gum paste is crunchy sugar hard candy and no flavoring.

I used to work for The Cake Lady and we had all the items around work to make these sorts of beautiful things.

By the way – the most fantastic thing on the entire cake are the wood blocks. Pimp sh*t.

13. on 12 Feb 2009 at 5:27 am Rianna

Can you make me a super mario Cake for my 13th please please reply rianna oak

14. on 26 Feb 2009 at 4:15 pm Cake Creations by Julia

That cake could cost anywhere from $1200 and up depending on the type of cake & fillings, where the wedding was located (rural vs. urban area) and the cake artist (years of experience, awards, etc.)

15. on 04 May 2009 at 2:28 pm Karla