Over the past few months, my 2 year old has decided to start using the potty. His primary motivation? Elmo’s Potty Time, a maddeningly repetitive online game that he can play for hours nonstop.

Too bad I don’t speak Japanese though, as I think he’d have fun with this toilet training book:

Hitori de Unchi cover

The idea of “Hitori de Unchi” (approximately meaning “I poop by myself”) is to show different creatures successfully using the toilet. For example, who better than a cat to teach proper bathroom etiquette?

Cat Pooping Unchi

Cat Pooping Unchi 2

Talking poop isn’t reserved for the cat either, the poop always gives the pooper some props afterwards:

Baby Girl Pooping Unchi

I love the muscle-flex, nice touch. The full name of the book is “Hitori de Unchi dekirukana zero ichi nisai no hon akachiyan no asobi ehon bo do butsuku” – does anyone know what this means?

Book Link [YesAsia], pics and translation via Knitting While Intoxicated

19 Responses to “Bizarre Toilet Training Book”

1. on 26 Apr 2007 at 11:10 am Cassie

The Japanese sure love their poop….first the charm, now this?

2. on 26 Apr 2007 at 11:29 am Fintan

Reading your blog reminds me of this website I came across years ago :-)

How to toilet train your cat lol

3. on 26 Apr 2007 at 12:38 pm Peter

“Hitori de Unchi dekirukana” means “I wonder if I can poop by myself?”

“akachiyan no asobi ehon” means “child’s play picture book.”

I don’t see where it says “zero ichi nisai no hon” or “do bo tsuku.” I see you got that from the YesAsia title, which I think might be a mistake. “Zero ichi nisai no hon” means “0, 1, 2-volume book”, which sounds more like a category.

Kimura Yuuichi is the name of the author.

I can’t quite make out what it says in the circle.

4. on 26 Apr 2007 at 1:22 pm Anita Bath

Peter, you rock! Thanks!

5. on 26 Apr 2007 at 2:28 pm BOSSY

Actually Bossy is pretty sure it means, “Look – My poop looks exactly like a roasted chicken!”

6. on 26 Apr 2007 at 3:13 pm John Wesley

My favorite panel is the one where the poop is talking.

7. on 26 Apr 2007 at 3:22 pm N.B. Goldstein

Wow! That’s awesome! I’m linking to this over at Chinglishness. It’s perrrrrrfect for my readers. Thanks again, and keep it up!

8. on 26 Apr 2007 at 8:35 pm Hammer

The poop in the bottom picture looks disturbingly like a cooked chicken.

9. on 27 Apr 2007 at 9:22 am Words Unspoken » Interesting Links

[…] Bizarre Toilet Training Book […]

10. on 27 Apr 2007 at 7:52 pm Elizabeth

“I wonder if (I/you) can poop by (my/your)self, book for ages 0-2, baby’s play picture book,” is all I can get. “bodobutsuku” doesn’t make sense in any translations I can get… are you sure that’s all it says?

11. on 27 Apr 2007 at 9:48 pm Christopher Trottier

Here’s some Poo&Pee plush dolls to go with the book.

12. on 28 Apr 2007 at 6:33 am Richard

If you change the language on YesAsia to Japanese for that book you see that the last word should be bodobukku in romaji. It’s a ‘board book’ in other words.

13. on 28 Apr 2007 at 6:39 am Richard

You can see it says ‘bodobukku’ (katakana) in the green circle on the cover. We probably don’t say ‘board book’ in English do we?

14. on 29 Apr 2007 at 2:55 pm The Thinking Blog

I love Japan!

15. on 30 Apr 2007 at 2:49 pm cindy

the cat’s poo is saying “wow! very good poop!” and the kid’s poo is saying “you did it! genki poop!” “genki” can be translated as strong, healthy, vigorous, etc.

16. on 02 May 2007 at 1:02 pm josh

When I literally translated what the kid’s poo was saying, it came out as “You did it at last!(alright so far…)Vigorous exorcism of poop!(I…what?)”

17. on 03 May 2007 at 11:10 pm cw_lemon

And now – in video:

18. on 19 May 2007 at 12:28 pm Ryan

cw_lemon, that video clip is for Shimajiro a very popular character in Japan for teaching infants about potty training

19. on 07 Mar 2009 at 1:38 pm marchy

here for a basic translation try this website :)