In 2005, the world’s largest all-wood treehouse was built amongst the lime trees of the non-profit Alnwick Garden in Northumberland County, UK. This 6,000 square foot treehouse is comprised of walkways, cottages, shops, a restaurant, and play areas. It is even wheelchair accessible, and holds close to 1,000 people, so everyone can play.

The Treehouse from Outside:

Alnwick Treehouse

Alnwick Treehouse

Alnwick Treehouse

Alnwick Treehouse

The treehouse’s wooden suspension bridge:

Alnwick Treehouse Bridge

Alnwick Treehouse Bridge

Inside the treehouse (fireplace, gift shop, restaurant):

Alnwick Treehouse Fireplace

Alnwick Treehouse Gift Shop

Alnwick Treehouse Restaurant

It takes a lot of support to hold up the treehouse:

Alnwick Treehouse Support

If you have kids, you may want to wait until they’re older and tired of treehouses to take them to Alnwick. Otherwise, you can be certain their current playset or treehouse will never be used again.

Thanks to Alnwick Garden, Chung-tung Yeh and fatcontroller for most of these pictures.

Since a lot of you feel strongly about the definition of a treehouse, I’ve added a quick poll. My vote is that it’s a treehouse since it’s suspended off the ground and amongst the trees, but I’m looking forward to your votes:

Is this really a treehouse?
View Results

78 Responses to “Alnwick Garden – Home of the World’s Largest Treehouse”

1. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:30 pm Abdul Alhazred

Is it really a treehouse?

Whatever it is, I want to see it up close and spend some money there.

Of course they did it for the money. What’s wrong with that?

2. on 26 Mar 2007 at 7:00 pm nunster

Yep it is all about the Money money money, MONEY. And ir they can get classed as the largest tree house, then even more money money… But all it is is a building on stilts and has some trees going through it. So since my double wide mobile is all ready on stilts and and ext.. can I cut a whole in my roof or have a tree sticking through the window and then call it a tree house?? So someone with a 6200 sq.ft. house that is elevated needs to stick a tree or two through their roof and then they can class as the largest tree house. Please no one take me to seriously now. Just making some silly observations. Except for the money money money MONEEEEY

3. on 26 Mar 2007 at 7:24 pm tori

lame! it’s a house on stilts, and not very high ones at that. not a tree house.

4. on 26 Mar 2007 at 11:35 pm J Bib

Guys, guys…come on. Treehouse or not. Let’s not argue over ceramics.

5. on 26 Mar 2007 at 11:59 pm Bunk Strutts

The struts (pun) and house are made from trees. Therefore it could be considered a tree house, like the house whose kitchen I’m typing this in.

What’s wrong with spending money to make money, as Abdul said? If spending money to make it is wrong, no one would have a job, and you’d be having dirt for supper, every night, except for Sunday, when you might get a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese, except with no cheese and no pasta.

You’re very astute for being the mayor of television.

If I had the property and the money to build something like this, I’d invite you all over for pizza. But you’d have to clear out by 10pm. I gotta work tomorrow.

6. on 27 Mar 2007 at 12:10 am joe

At first I voted no, then I got to reading some of the comments, and I agree. If they want to call it a treehouse, so what. And as far as making money off the project, hey, that’s the american dream!!! Be jelous!

7. on 27 Mar 2007 at 4:57 am uncle wilco

I saw this great treeshed or Tree Shed the other day.
    its not on the grand scale of this one, but i’am sure the owners love it.

8. on 27 Mar 2007 at 8:38 am Chris H

Heh, my grandparents live in alnwick.. time for me to pay this tree house a visit, methinks! 😀

9. on 27 Mar 2007 at 6:53 pm you know who

Bunk! thats all i have to say, nothing special about it, just a big wooden house on stilts,seen plenty of them not bigger but alot nicer. again boring like most british stuff

10. on 27 Mar 2007 at 7:04 pm coastal

things in life are supposed to get more exciting, it’s a waste to build this “treehouse”, not interusting at all and what type of attraction is this, what do you do there? seems like to just walk around, stare at the walls, eat at the resturant and go to the gift shop. you call this an attraction? and people are actually going to pay to walk through a wooden house. These people are ripping everyone off, they just wanna make money.Put some hot tubs in there,bar ,indoor heated pool,dirt bikes a gun range and alot of hot chicks then make a fuss about it. like buddy mentioned Bunk!!

11. on 28 Mar 2007 at 2:33 pm nunster

Ohhhhh yeah that sounds nice, hot tubs, guns, bar, and the babes. I would go to that place then. Because then that would be the ultimate tree house. And think about it that is what that place reminds of Porkies from that old movie years ago. darn it I can remember the whole movie except the title. anyhow it is the movie they destroy the place when they wraped chains around the pillings and then yanked it down.

12. on 28 Mar 2007 at 7:36 pm Lee

Well, it’s no Hostel in the Forest like the one in Brunswick, GA where you can actually sleep up in the tree! The only part of the tree houses there that touch the ground are the trunks and the stairs to get up. Highly (haha) recommended.

13. on 28 Mar 2007 at 8:24 pm AKROCK

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to the largest tree house in the world, but instead I drove him to an old tree stump. “Oh, no,” I said. “The tree house was cut down.” He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real tree house, but it was getting pretty late.

14. on 29 Mar 2007 at 3:11 pm blondie

Is it a bed and breakfast? It looks pretty cool.

15. on 01 Apr 2007 at 1:25 pm Pamelakat

What a lot of passionate debate about a “quaint” tourist attraction. Come visit our ice hotel here in Canada – now that’s a spectacle. No fireplace, but in this case there is a good reaason not to have one. But the big question: Is this an Ice Hotel, or an Icehotel – you decide!

16. on 05 Apr 2007 at 2:15 am deletedsoul

I think it’s lovely!

17. […] dreams: Alnwick Garden reported by Say No To […]

18. on 09 Apr 2007 at 12:38 pm Blue

I think it’s W O W!! Just magical!!
    A B I G applause for the builders.

19. […] up my tree-shed post the other day, saynotocrackhas a great post and wonderful pictures of this massive treehouse, or house in the trees if you are picky. In 2005, the world’s largest all-wood treehouse was […]

20. […] Alnwick Garden – Home of the World’s Largest Treehouse […]

21. on 24 Jan 2008 at 2:03 pm FaroMVG

If I had to come up with the definition for a treehouse I would say that a treehouse is any structure inhabitable by people, supported by trees or compnents of trees, like a branch. In this case the trees are not being used as foundation. They really aren’t even being used for vertical supports, which would be their only arguement for it being a “treehouse”. In fact the trees seem to be a hindrance to the design and structure rather than an element of its creation.

22. on 19 Apr 2008 at 3:30 pm thepeoplearetryingtosleep

I think it’s funny that people have a problem with fires in a treehouse. Afterall, lot of homes are mostly wood. It all depends on if you build the fireplace safely. Thanks for the photos and the controversy. I think it’s a stilthouse. They’re cool in general but monstrocities like those buildings ruin the treehouse feel for me. Who wants a treehouse with hdtvs and all the bourgeois stuff that comes with a big house like that? I realize it’s a park and that makes it a little better. Thanks again!

23. on 11 Apr 2009 at 9:11 am Olivia

This is not a treehouse!!!!!! It just has trees going through it! All it does is get attention to people so they will spend their money on a house built on huge stilts! I wouldnt go to it!

24. on 04 Jul 2009 at 5:39 pm adult affiliate program

Topic of your article is very interesting, i have bookmarked your blog

25. on 28 Jul 2010 at 3:55 pm treehugger

OK, a treehouse should be supported by the tree to be a “treehouse”. But, that would damage the tree and not last as long – that’s no fun. It’s a hybrid, and extremely cool. Let’s just call it a treehouse anyway so we can see more of these.

26. on 28 Oct 2010 at 12:25 pm Jack

We’ll I’ve been to the Alnwick Gardens Tree house several time and together with the other attractions in the area, such as Alnwick Castle and Barter Books there is definitely enough activities available for a very good day out.

And as for whether this structure is a tree house or not…who cares!!! Its a wonderful experience for kids and adults to walk in the tree tops without having to wear a harness. Open your minds and imaginations and get over technicalities.

27. on 02 Jan 2011 at 5:09 pm Jojo

I think it’s lovely and beautiful and if I could call that my home and share it with someone I adore, my life would be perfection. Negativity is a disease, please don’t insist on destroying attempts at cultivating beauty in our world with that plague.

28. on 14 Jan 2011 at 9:13 pm Chrystine