In 2005, the world’s largest all-wood treehouse was built amongst the lime trees of the non-profit Alnwick Garden in Northumberland County, UK. This 6,000 square foot treehouse is comprised of walkways, cottages, shops, a restaurant, and play areas. It is even wheelchair accessible, and holds close to 1,000 people, so everyone can play.

The Treehouse from Outside:

Alnwick Treehouse

Alnwick Treehouse

Alnwick Treehouse

Alnwick Treehouse

The treehouse’s wooden suspension bridge:

Alnwick Treehouse Bridge

Alnwick Treehouse Bridge

Inside the treehouse (fireplace, gift shop, restaurant):

Alnwick Treehouse Fireplace

Alnwick Treehouse Gift Shop

Alnwick Treehouse Restaurant

It takes a lot of support to hold up the treehouse:

Alnwick Treehouse Support

If you have kids, you may want to wait until they’re older and tired of treehouses to take them to Alnwick. Otherwise, you can be certain their current playset or treehouse will never be used again.

Thanks to Alnwick Garden, Chung-tung Yeh and fatcontroller for most of these pictures.

LATE UPDATE:
Since a lot of you feel strongly about the definition of a treehouse, I’ve added a quick poll. My vote is that it’s a treehouse since it’s suspended off the ground and amongst the trees, but I’m looking forward to your votes:

Is this really a treehouse?
View Results

Related Posts:

No results.

78 Responses to “Alnwick Garden – Home of the World’s Largest Treehouse”

1. on 24 Mar 2007 at 6:42 pm Howard

Iwannago! Iwannago! Iwannago! Canwe? Canwe? Canwe?

Moooooooooomieeeeeeeeeeee!

2. on 24 Mar 2007 at 10:08 pm BSA

That’s very neat, but it seems more like a suspended wooden structure than a tree house. It’s not really in the tree.

3. on 25 Mar 2007 at 1:06 am Mudcrab

Isn’t it a bit stupid to have a fire in a place that is made out of wood?

4. on 25 Mar 2007 at 2:09 am jeffrey

^^^ wow, way to use your imagination, jerk

5. on 25 Mar 2007 at 2:28 am Fred

That is simply not a treehouse. That is just a huge house built up on stilts. Calling it a “treehouse” can only be an attempt to grab attention, probably as a crass money-making scheme. Amen.

6. on 25 Mar 2007 at 2:34 am jayzee

Yeah…isn’t the point of treehouse that is completely supported by the tree? This is just an elevated house.

7. on 25 Mar 2007 at 3:10 am RoaKaun

One can look at this from several different ways…
    A Keebler Elf MegaHome..
    Something left over from Lord Of The Rings…
    A project put together from some very bored carpenders…
    But I was wondering where the airgarage was….

8. on 25 Mar 2007 at 4:09 am Me

well its got trees going through it…

9. on 25 Mar 2007 at 4:37 am dial999

How much bigger is it than the famous Treetops lodge in Kenya, with 50 twin bedrooms (all with en-suite bathrooms), main dining area and separate bar/lounge?

10. on 25 Mar 2007 at 10:36 am Hammer

It looks cool and I’m sure kids love it and if the restaurant serves good food, I’m sure adults like it too, but based on those photos I’d have to agree that it’s not technically a ‘treehouse’. But, since it’s integrated with the trees, it’s definitely a ‘tree house’.

11. on 25 Mar 2007 at 11:07 am Redoubt

Is it in trees or a slum on stilts? It all depends on what kind of eyes you have. To a child, a cardboard box can be anything, a spaceship, a tank… anything. To stodgy old neanderthals (read: adults), it’s just a box.

I say it’s a treehouse… :p

12. on 25 Mar 2007 at 11:19 am MissAnnaP

I think this does not constitute as a ‘treehouse’. I agree with ya’ll who believe it is merely a ploy to attract people and have them spend money. A tree or two going through it doesn’t make it a treehouse. My college has trees going through the commons area but we don’t call it TreeHouse college.

13. on 25 Mar 2007 at 11:39 am susannah

I think the treehouse is very unique. I like it

14. on 25 Mar 2007 at 12:07 pm Kathy Fisher

This is not a tree house in my opinion ……… just and extended building. Some of our foundation posts are that tall or higher in our house. Nice try …..

15. on 25 Mar 2007 at 12:46 pm Cassie

Wow, that’s pretty amazing…but you wouldn’t catch me running around underneath it like the kid in the last picture!

16. on 25 Mar 2007 at 1:05 pm Freelance Cynic

Geeze people get touchy when you call something a ‘treehouse’ don’t they!

I sense hidden memories of first kisses shared in a rotting home made shack. It may have been small damp and falling apart but at least it was in a tree damn it.

Quick. someone find me a match!

17. on 25 Mar 2007 at 1:24 pm gypsylany

What a wonderful idea! Would love to visit!

18. on 25 Mar 2007 at 2:54 pm Steve

Jealous people always argue semantics

19. on 25 Mar 2007 at 2:54 pm troy

Webster’s dictionary defines a treehouse as ” a small playhouse constructed among a tree’s branches.” Among means mixed, mingled or in the midst of. Definately a treehouse.

20. on 25 Mar 2007 at 5:02 pm Douglas Woolley

I think all of the comments are valid. Also, the
    people calling the structure a tree house should
    go back to school and become educated!

21. on 25 Mar 2007 at 5:06 pm Douglas Woolley

B/S

22. on 25 Mar 2007 at 5:19 pm bobert33

Not a treehouse. If you replaced the wooden stilts with concrete stilts would you still call it a treehouse? A true treehouse needs to be fully supported by the trees. Wood elves make treehouses.

23. on 25 Mar 2007 at 5:27 pm thor

Treehouse or not, who really gives a, you know what. IT’s COOL!!

24. on 25 Mar 2007 at 5:37 pm Betty

I love the place! … but holy moly … an open fire place inside a tree house …’scuse me??? Yikes.

25. on 25 Mar 2007 at 5:42 pm rhelynn

According to the height of the guy in the last picture, yep – it’s a treehouse. Cool pictures, thanks!

26. on 25 Mar 2007 at 6:20 pm Jason

A very cool building, but not a treehouse.
    A treehouse needs to be supported by the trees, not steel-reinforced stilts.

27. on 25 Mar 2007 at 6:22 pm barry gilbert

I thought it definitely looks great whether its a treehouse or not. technically it is and it isn’t. its a great feat of building whatever you want to call it. i hope that the fireplace doesn’t burn down the whole place.

28. on 25 Mar 2007 at 6:33 pm Rt

I think its a great idea that should be utilized in America. Who cares if its really a “Treehouse” totally suspended by trees or not. The point is that it integrates nature into the design of the structure instead of cutting the forest down and pouring concrete over everything!

29. on 25 Mar 2007 at 8:30 pm Wonhunglo

THIS IS NOT A TREE HOUSE. P.S. FACE BOOK SUX

30. on 25 Mar 2007 at 8:31 pm alan havlick

Not !!

31. on 25 Mar 2007 at 8:50 pm stu

Why do some people go out of their way to find something negative in everything. Call it a treehouse who cares.

32. on 25 Mar 2007 at 9:07 pm the nodder

I visited New York City version: A elementary school built on 25 foot high pillars with no windows.

33. on 25 Mar 2007 at 9:16 pm Duffman

Meh, not a true treehouse, but kinda cool.

34. on 25 Mar 2007 at 9:36 pm grneyes777

So ok it may not be a Real Treehouse, but look at all comments ppl have and the difference of opinions. Hats off to the builder he surely had fun with it and still is. I would love to see it.

35. on 25 Mar 2007 at 9:56 pm FoxyKitten

It may not officially meet the requirements to be titled as a Treehouse, but I think it’s totally Cool !!

36. on 25 Mar 2007 at 10:36 pm joey

yawn..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

37. on 25 Mar 2007 at 11:26 pm Darrell

Lighten up. Ask a child; it’s a tree house. Let them have it, it doesn’t hurt anybody. Now let’s take all that misplaced energy and find a cure for cancer.

38. on 25 Mar 2007 at 11:57 pm Night Owl

Mudcrab said:
    “Isn’t it a bit stupid to have a fire in a place that is made out of wood?”

Do you know what a log cabin or stick built home are?
    HELLO! Many of them have or had a fireplace?

39. on 26 Mar 2007 at 12:01 am Diana

Did that thing get a building permit

40. on 26 Mar 2007 at 12:47 am Yen

Wow! Id like to have a house like this one. I digg picture # 3 and 8.
    Can i really find it in UK?

41. on 26 Mar 2007 at 1:05 am Sulma

Technically, yes, this is a tree house. All wood has belonged to a tree at some point. The house is made of wood. It is supported entirely by wood. Some of this particular tree house’s wood is from live trees. Some of the wood is from dead trees. The house’s construction and supporting material belongs to a tree, dead or alive.

It is too arbitrary to say that this is not a tree house. That claim assumes that a tree house depends on only live trees. Remember that the structure of smaller tree houses, the supposedly “real” tree houses, also depend on BOTH the wood from dead and live trees.

42. on 26 Mar 2007 at 1:29 am nunster

What a waist of good wood. It is in a garden? Well dosn’t their garden look nice but don’t look at the forest they had to strip for all that wood. HaHaHa.
    And It is just a building on stilts. wow. And that fire place is not a fire place. It burns gas. Look at the color of the flame and where the flames are coming from. So even that is fake just like the rest of the place. That building doesn’t even attach to even one tree. WHAT A JOKE

43. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:05 am dusty

I think its punny. Its not a house in a tree, its a house for trees! See the branches coming right thru the porch, roof and windows? We live in houses for people (hopefully) and thats a house for trees to live in. Maybe instead of calling it a treehouse, we could call it a….GREENHOUSE….without the green.

44. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:37 am AKROCK

Jeez. I love reading these self proclaimed tree house “expert’s” dicertations on the true qualifications that constitute a tree house. And no its not a tree house because the radius of the wooden struts holding it up iw too wide. And by the way I’m not only a ‘tree house expert’, but I’m also the mayor of television.

45. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:41 am Darryl

According to reader Troy’s recitation of Webster’s definition of a treehouse as ”a small playhouse constructed among a tree’s branches”, this structure, although clearly constructed among tree branches, is not, technically speaking, a treehouse. Due to it’s size, which is certainly not small by anyone’s interpretation of the word, this edifice is, I should think, more properly called a tree building.

46. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:56 am michael

Will everyone please be quiet…. I’m trying to get some shuteye.

There.

That’s better.

Thank you very much.

47. on 26 Mar 2007 at 3:13 am RequiredName

If its really a tree house….why are there adults all over the place….and girls for that matter?

48. on 26 Mar 2007 at 5:28 am helen

I’ve been and it’s amazing – the steak sandwiches are the best ever too!

49. on 26 Mar 2007 at 9:40 am Viv Coulter

Who cares whether it is a Tree House or a Treehouse? It definetly took a lot of planning, (and yes, a lot of wood) but it certainly proves to so many construction folks that you DO NOT HAVE to sacrifice every tree on a lot in order to get in and build something, (and then go in and plant 3-5 foot saplings to replace the hundreds of year old trees). It’s cool, and certainly set back where you don’t see or hear the neighbors!!

I like it…wish I could afford it, (plus the exterminators, that you would need weekly in Florida)!

VC

50. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:17 pm fanu

The Elfs could bake cookies inside of a tree why cant they have a fireplace

51. on 26 Mar 2007 at 2:30 pm Abdul Alhazred

Is it really a treehouse?

Whatever it is, I want to see it up close and spend some money there.

Of course they did it for the money. What’s wrong with that?

52. on 26 Mar 2007 at 7:00 pm nunster

Yep it is all about the Money money money, MONEY. And ir they can get classed as the largest tree house, then even more money money… But all it is is a building on stilts and has some trees going through it. So since my double wide mobile is all ready on stilts and and ext.. can I cut a whole in my roof or have a tree sticking through the window and then call it a tree house?? So someone with a 6200 sq.ft. house that is elevated needs to stick a tree or two through their roof and then they can class as the largest tree house. Please no one take me to seriously now. Just making some silly observations. Except for the money money money MONEEEEY

53. on 26 Mar 2007 at 7:24 pm tori

lame! it’s a house on stilts, and not very high ones at that. not a tree house.

54. on 26 Mar 2007 at 11:35 pm J Bib

Guys, guys…come on. Treehouse or not. Let’s not argue over ceramics.

J.

55. on 26 Mar 2007 at 11:59 pm Bunk Strutts

tori–
    The struts (pun) and house are made from trees. Therefore it could be considered a tree house, like the house whose kitchen I’m typing this in.

nunster–
    What’s wrong with spending money to make money, as Abdul said? If spending money to make it is wrong, no one would have a job, and you’d be having dirt for supper, every night, except for Sunday, when you might get a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese, except with no cheese and no pasta.

AKROCK–
    You’re very astute for being the mayor of television.

If I had the property and the money to build something like this, I’d invite you all over for pizza. But you’d have to clear out by 10pm. I gotta work tomorrow.

56. on 27 Mar 2007 at 12:10 am joe

At first I voted no, then I got to reading some of the comments, and I agree. If they want to call it a treehouse, so what. And as far as making money off the project, hey, that’s the american dream!!! Be jelous!

57. on 27 Mar 2007 at 4:57 am uncle wilco

I saw this great treeshed or Tree Shed the other day.
    its not on the grand scale of this one, but i’am sure the owners love it.

58. on 27 Mar 2007 at 8:38 am Chris H

Heh, my grandparents live in alnwick.. time for me to pay this tree house a visit, methinks! :D

59. on 27 Mar 2007 at 6:53 pm you know who

Bunk! thats all i have to say, nothing special about it, just a big wooden house on stilts,seen plenty of them not bigger but alot nicer. again boring like most british stuff

60. on 27 Mar 2007 at 7:04 pm coastal

things in life are supposed to get more exciting, it’s a waste to build this “treehouse”, not interusting at all and what type of attraction is this, what do you do there? seems like to just walk around, stare at the walls, eat at the resturant and go to the gift shop. you call this an attraction? and people are actually going to pay to walk through a wooden house. These people are ripping everyone off, they just wanna make money.Put some hot tubs in there,bar ,indoor heated pool,dirt bikes a gun range and alot of hot chicks then make a fuss about it. like buddy mentioned Bunk!!

61. on 28 Mar 2007 at 2:33 pm nunster

Ohhhhh yeah that sounds nice, hot tubs, guns, bar, and the babes. I would go to that place then. Because then that would be the ultimate tree house. And think about it that is what that place reminds of Porkies from that old movie years ago. darn it I can remember the whole movie except the title. anyhow it is the movie they destroy the place when they wraped chains around the pillings and then yanked it down.

62. on 28 Mar 2007 at 7:36 pm Lee

Well, it’s no Hostel in the Forest like the one in Brunswick, GA where you can actually sleep up in the tree! The only part of the tree houses there that touch the ground are the trunks and the stairs to get up. Highly (haha) recommended.

63. on 28 Mar 2007 at 8:24 pm AKROCK

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to the largest tree house in the world, but instead I drove him to an old tree stump. “Oh, no,” I said. “The tree house was cut down.” He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real tree house, but it was getting pretty late.

64. on 29 Mar 2007 at 3:11 pm blondie

Is it a bed and breakfast? It looks pretty cool.

65. on 01 Apr 2007 at 1:25 pm Pamelakat

What a lot of passionate debate about a “quaint” tourist attraction. Come visit our ice hotel here in Canada – now that’s a spectacle. No fireplace, but in this case there is a good reaason not to have one. But the big question: Is this an Ice Hotel, or an Icehotel – you decide!

66. on 05 Apr 2007 at 2:15 am deletedsoul

I think it’s lovely!

67. [...] dreams: Alnwick Garden reported by Say No To [...]

68. on 09 Apr 2007 at 12:38 pm Blue

I think it’s W O W!! Just magical!!
    A B I G applause for the builders.

69. [...] up my tree-shed post the other day, saynotocrackhas a great post and wonderful pictures of this massive treehouse, or house in the trees if you are picky. In 2005, the world’s largest all-wood treehouse was [...]

70. [...] Alnwick Garden – Home of the World’s Largest Treehouse [...]

71. on 24 Jan 2008 at 2:03 pm FaroMVG

If I had to come up with the definition for a treehouse I would say that a treehouse is any structure inhabitable by people, supported by trees or compnents of trees, like a branch. In this case the trees are not being used as foundation. They really aren’t even being used for vertical supports, which would be their only arguement for it being a “treehouse”. In fact the trees seem to be a hindrance to the design and structure rather than an element of its creation.

72. on 19 Apr 2008 at 3:30 pm thepeoplearetryingtosleep

I think it’s funny that people have a problem with fires in a treehouse. Afterall, lot of homes are mostly wood. It all depends on if you build the fireplace safely. Thanks for the photos and the controversy. I think it’s a stilthouse. They’re cool in general but monstrocities like those buildings ruin the treehouse feel for me. Who wants a treehouse with hdtvs and all the bourgeois stuff that comes with a big house like that? I realize it’s a park and that makes it a little better. Thanks again!

73. on 11 Apr 2009 at 9:11 am Olivia

This is not a treehouse!!!!!! It just has trees going through it! All it does is get attention to people so they will spend their money on a house built on huge stilts! I wouldnt go to it!

74. on 04 Jul 2009 at 5:39 pm adult affiliate program

Topic of your article is very interesting, i have bookmarked your blog
    regards
    fluflaken

75. on 28 Jul 2010 at 3:55 pm treehugger

OK, a treehouse should be supported by the tree to be a “treehouse”. But, that would damage the tree and not last as long – that’s no fun. It’s a hybrid, and extremely cool. Let’s just call it a treehouse anyway so we can see more of these.

76. on 28 Oct 2010 at 12:25 pm Jack

We’ll I’ve been to the Alnwick Gardens Tree house several time and together with the other attractions in the area, such as Alnwick Castle and Barter Books there is definitely enough activities available for a very good day out.

And as for whether this structure is a tree house or not…who cares!!! Its a wonderful experience for kids and adults to walk in the tree tops without having to wear a harness. Open your minds and imaginations and get over technicalities.

77. on 02 Jan 2011 at 5:09 pm Jojo

I think it’s lovely and beautiful and if I could call that my home and share it with someone I adore, my life would be perfection. Negativity is a disease, please don’t insist on destroying attempts at cultivating beauty in our world with that plague.

78. on 14 Jan 2011 at 9:13 pm Chrystine