Not good with directions? Then buy a TomTom or a car with built-in satellite navigation. Directionally challenged, but driving a sporty $100,000 Mercedes SL500? Then follow the navigation system’s instructions precisely, regardless of how illogical they may seem.

Sounds like ridiculous advice, right? Not to the 20-something British driver:

Mercedes Poor Navigation

The young woman, identified only as Hayley, was recently on her way to a party in central England when the navigation system led her down an old farm road. She completely ignored signs stating that the road was impassable by non-farm vehicles, and continued until she reached a ford in Sheepy Magna.

Even though the usually shallow river was swollen from flooding, the driver accepted her navigation system’s instructions and attempted to cross. Almost half a mile downstream, the car finally ran aground and the woman was rescued by a local villager. Within minutes, the car became dislodged again, and completely filled with water.

Little additional information is available regarding the navigation-deficient driver, although we do know she was finally rescued from the village itself by a chauffer-driven Bentley. How tragic.

via

10 Responses to “Satellite Navigation Systems are Always Right”

1. on 18 Mar 2007 at 12:00 am Mike Seneca

What? You don’t like Bentley’s?

The navigation system on my new Audi A8L often takes me to very wrong places, but with absolute German certainty.

My daughter’s new Honda, at about 25% of the Audi’s cost, is fool-proof.

2. on 18 Mar 2007 at 1:08 am Bunk Strutts

Dang, Ben! You scooped me again! Good job.

3. on 18 Mar 2007 at 11:28 am Nessa

I don’t need a navigation system to drive into a creek. I do that on my own.

4. on 18 Mar 2007 at 12:28 pm skh.pcola

With the current FX rates, that Mercedes is almost $200,000. You’d think that anybody in their late 20s who could afford such a thing would have more sense…

5. on 18 Mar 2007 at 12:54 pm Oriole Magic!

My god, people are stupid. There are folks out there who actually think that the satalite can read the road signs and that it’s always making the best choices.

Why just last night I was using my Nav system in Baltimore City and it told me to make a left…onto a road that was closed for construction.

How did I deal with this dilemma? Why I kept driving and waited for the Nav system to give me a better option!

Crazy use of independent thought I know…

6. on 18 Mar 2007 at 2:04 pm VatsaL

probably another dum blonde..

7. on 18 Mar 2007 at 4:18 pm froggywoogie

I’ve heard of some people missing the right speedway exit so the GPS said they had to drive back to the opposite direction…. so they did, on the speedway!

8. on 21 Mar 2007 at 11:55 pm azrin

That place is a common KNOWN fact for the GPS hickup.
    Guess she must be using a TomTom.

azrin @ http://www.azrin.net

9. on 24 Jul 2007 at 1:38 pm Rathn kry

how did some one so stupid manage to pass there driving test?who did she think she was james bond???

10. on 18 Aug 2007 at 4:11 pm Maya

Hey! Well, the satnav had certainly the best intensions. Still – she was only taken through the back roads. My satnav was telling me to make a U- turn – Now! – which would be ok if I wasn’t on a motorway with no exit in sight. And, no, the map wasn’t that old!