“Hello, Mr. Strutts. I’m Dan and this is Doug.”
“I’m here to take your daughter to the movies, but since my license was revoked, Doug’s gonna drive tonight. ‘Sokay with you?”

South African Twins

I ran across this photo of twin brothers Dresie and Casie in rural South Africa at Roger Ballen’s photosite.

10 Responses to “WWBD – What Would Bunk Do?”

1. on 07 Mar 2007 at 11:04 pm Bunk S.

I didn’t notice it at first, but it also looks like they are drooling… Prolly real nice guys, though.

2. on 07 Mar 2007 at 11:28 pm Anita Bath

What’s funny is that these guys are obviously trying to look either REALLY tough, or really goofy. I wouldn’t be surprised if the photographer (or subjects) were aiming for a Deliverance type look.

Either way, I certainly wouldn’t let them take your daughter out for a spin! 😉

3. on 08 Mar 2007 at 2:43 am Bunk S.

Okay, what if they pinned their ears back and changed their shirts?

4. on 08 Mar 2007 at 3:05 am Saundra in MO

The thing I find funny about this picture is I have that same look on my face looking at this picture that they have on their faces! It’s as if we are all looking at each other wondering what in the heck we are looking at. Yet, I’m not drooling, so I know I’m the normal one.
    But if I look too long, they start to creep me out and I look away. Sort of like the loser of a staring contest. I wouldn’t recommend trying it.

5. on 14 Mar 2007 at 5:45 am Fem

These guys have a congenital disorder. Sorry, yar.

6. on 15 Mar 2007 at 10:14 pm Bunk

Fem, that’s possible. But after re-reviewing the photographer’s website, it appears that his more recent photos, including the one of the twins, are staged. Although the pictures show rural folks of South Africa, the photographer began posing them for his “artistry.” They probably got paid for it as well.

7. El Cletus Spuckler de la vida real…

¿Quién no recuerda a Cletus Spuckler de los Simpsons? Pero… a que nadie sabía que el personaje está basado en un ya fallecido sudafricano con ligero retraso mental de nombre Casie (según yo). En la foto se puede ver todo babeado con cara …

8. on 18 Mar 2007 at 12:55 am Bunk Strutts

EMB–
    Lo siento para mi español. Esta, en ingles, es un descripcion del Roger Ballen y su trabajo fotografia:

“Roger Ballen was born in New York City in 1950 and has lived in Johannesburg South Africa for almost 30 years. Beginning by documenting the small dorps or villages of rural South Africa, Ballen’s photography moved on in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s to their inhabitants; through the late 1990’s Ballen’s work progressed. By the mid 1990’s his subjects began to act where previously his pictures however troubling fell firmly into the category of documentary photography, his work then moved into the realms of fiction. His third book Outland produced by Phaidon Press in 2000 was the result.”

En otras palabras, los situaciones de las fotos son fabricaciones, pero el personaje son real, son verdaderos.

Bunk

9. on 18 Mar 2007 at 1:20 am Bunk Strutts

…y quien es “Cletus Spuckler?” No requerdo.

10. on 13 Apr 2007 at 3:29 pm Off to San Francisco « ValueWiki Blog