The Yama Yama Man

Yama Yama Man Say No to Crack

I found this old cassette (does anyone still remember cassettes? 8-tracks? Vinyl records? 45’s? 78’s?) in my garage. It was barely playable, especially because I don’t have a cassette player anymore. I think it might be a bootleg recording because both sides had this same song:

Over and over and over. And over. Nevertheless, I think that Anita did a good vocal on the song, even though I have no idea what the song is about. YOU ROCK, BATH GIRL! (I just know she’s gonna smack me for this one.)

The actual recording posted here was of Ada Jones and the Victor Light Orchestra. AJ was a hottie in her day, unlike Mr. Victor. There are several more downloadable songs from the early 1900’s available for free at foldedspace. These are recordings that made your great-grandmother get all jumpy-and-jivey, until your great-grampa told her to hush up and sit down and, “Don’t make a spectacle out of yourself. What’s for supper?”

Understand that these recordings were MECHANICAL recordings. No electricity, all vibration, which meant that the singers and musicians had to play LOUDLY. The Victorolas that the slate discs were played on operated by vibrations also, and there was no volume control except to close the “speaker” cabinet. And the Victor Light Orchestra was the house band for what would become RCA Victor Records. Yep. THAT RCA.

You can create your own virtual cassettes here.

12 Responses to “The Yama Yama Man”

1. on 26 Feb 2007 at 9:24 pm Anita Bath

Hmmm … “Bath Girl”? I’ll just ignore the second half of the “you rock” quote. Although I don’t think you’d be quite as excited if you found a cassette tape with me singing … even my 2 year old son quickly responds with “No No, don’t do that” if I break out in song. 😉

2. on 26 Feb 2007 at 9:33 pm Pete Aldin

O……….k………

3. on 26 Feb 2007 at 9:51 pm Hammer

I had no idea Anita was so old.

4. on 26 Feb 2007 at 11:06 pm Bunk S.

Recorded live at Rafael’s Silver Cloud Lounge. How ’bout that band!

Hammer– Have you not heard of “retro” music?

Mr. Aldin– Seems you didn’t get the full experience of the cassette recording. On the “options” bar, click “repeat”, then listen to the virtual cassette for 20 minutes and hit the pause button. Then flip the virtual cassette and hit play again. Let it run for another 20 minutes, hit stop, and you will have gotten the full effect. I bet you change your mind.

Bunk

5. on 27 Feb 2007 at 2:14 am SPIIDERWEBâ„¢

Jesus H Christ on a broomstick, I remember all of them.

Oh yeah, the Edison recordings come to mind.

6. on 27 Feb 2007 at 3:54 am Antilos

You are to buy cassette Apple Ipod and enjoy listening without problems :)

7. on 27 Feb 2007 at 4:35 am Bunk S.

The early Edison recordings were about a 1/4″ thick. Usually one-sided, too.

8. on 27 Feb 2007 at 1:47 pm Jennifer

I have an .mp3 version of that that I thought was by Ada Jones With The Victor Light Opera Company… but it sounds just like the one you posted. I guess mines mislabeled!

9. on 23 Jun 2007 at 10:54 am Randall

Richard Harding Davis was a journalist and war correspondent around the turn of the century. He was extremely famous at the time and the idle of high society. You may have heard of “The Gibson Girls”, a regular series of cartoons from that era in the New Yorker, or something, that portrayed beautiful upper class women in romantic intrigues. The male model of their romantic foils was the artist’s friend Richard Harding Davis. Anyway, his girfriend (I wish I could remember her name-she kind of resembled Renee Zelwinger) was a stage actress that was famous for performing this song (The Yama Yama Man). It’s about a monster from comtemporary folklore.

10. on 23 Jun 2007 at 10:57 am Randall

Make that coNtemporary folklore. And I forgot to thank you for giving me a chance to finally hear this song that made his girlfriend a celebrity.

11. on 04 Dec 2007 at 2:48 pm Ann

This was a hoot my grandma sang this song (weird huh)to my brother and I in the early 50’s

12. on 12 May 2010 at 11:39 am business signs

Hello, for some reason when I put your rss into google reader, it does not function. Can you give me the RSS link just to make certain I’m using the right one?