Today a friend told me that she was still feeling down after a disappointing Valentine’s Day. I couldn’t offer much helpful advice earlier, but now after seeing this cartoon, I think maybe cupid just made the wrong decision and was held by airport security:

Dirtflake - Tough Decision

On the other hand, a few men have told me that Valentine’s Day costs them so much that they feel rather depressed until March Madness (College Basketball playoffs for all you non-U.S. readers). This cartoon seemed much more appropriate for them:

Dirtflake - Empty

Thanks to Joel Esler at Dirtflake for the cartoons!

12 Responses to “Did Valentine’s Day Get You Down?”

1. on 20 Feb 2007 at 1:19 am Dorky Dad

Aaah, guys need to be like me: no more flowers or going out on Valentine’s Day. Do something simple. Then surprise her with dinner and flowers some OTHER night, preferably nowhere near the holiday.

The flowers and the food are much cheaper. Better: they’re unexpected.

It’s good to be cheap.

2. on 20 Feb 2007 at 7:57 am loli

Even better: Gather some friends and you’re girlfriend/boyfriend and go party all night without even THINKING of Valentine.
    And if you want go to the extreme, watch for some Gay/Lesbian Party near your home.

3. on 20 Feb 2007 at 8:06 am Nessa

Dorky Dad has the right idea. We boycot Valentine’s Day in our house. Too much pressure.

4. on 20 Feb 2007 at 8:09 am BOSSY

Bossy doesn’t like to exchange Valentine’s gifts with her husband. She prefers to buy chocolates for her kids – and then wait until they are asleep and pilfer them.

5. on 20 Feb 2007 at 1:15 pm CuriosityKiller

If I were cupid, that would same tough decisions every day. I boycott Valentine’s Day every year.

6. on 20 Feb 2007 at 2:49 pm Tisha

Oh shucks, when we stop expecting STUFF we’re so much happier! mouaaaah

7. on 20 Feb 2007 at 3:10 pm Dark_blaze37

I think Cupid took the Sniper rifle this year

8. on 20 Feb 2007 at 4:10 pm Jackyl

I got her 1 rose! Haha. Love the cupid cartoon. I showed my buddy who is a sniper in the army – he died laighing.

9. on 20 Feb 2007 at 5:46 pm Jackyl

Where’s cupid’s left hand and what is it doing?

10. on 21 Feb 2007 at 4:10 am Bunk S.

Guys, don’t make the same mistake I did. I was caught and found guilty of being a guy.

Before I got hitched, I dated for several years and noticed a pattern. Everything was lovey-dovey up until Christmas, and I’d buy my girl something that I thought was cool and sentimental.

Took me a coupla years before I realized that my “sentimental” gift was either cheap, cheesy, tacky, or all three, and my girlfriend of the previous autumn would break up with me by the time February rolled around, usually after Christmas and before New Year’s eve.

In other words, I was trained to disrespect and ignore Valentine’s Day. I was free…

Until I got married.

I made the fatal mistake of thinking that Valentine’s Day was for pie-eyed, sweating-in-love, “kiss-me-in-the-frozen-food-section-in-front-of-the-ladies-in -hair-curlers” single lovers.

I disrepected Valentine’s Day only once since then, the first and last once, the once on the 14th of the second month of the year after my wife and I got married. I promptly bought a more comfortable couch in case I ever forgot again.

11. on 22 Feb 2007 at 6:33 pm Antilos

If you really love smb you won’t feel so empty !

12. on 13 Feb 2008 at 2:48 am JACKIE

Take it from a veteran woman.. we want and need a sentiment! Our friends receive flowers at work …our family show us how their men love them… by there lil bling..spend a minute…spend a buck and get us something!I hate to be the only one not picked in gym class.