Favorite MTV video?

When MTV first arrived in my backwoods Pennsylvania hometown, I thought it was the greatest invention ever. To me, this meant the end of bad radio, no more Carpenters on reel-to-reel tapes, and a welcome distraction to block the noise from some of my mother’s piano students.

The first song I saw on MTV was a-ha’s “Take on Me”. This is the catchy video mixing black and white animation with live actors. If you still don’t remember, here’s a screenshot (I’d post the video, but it looks like YouTube will be required to take down all MTV videos very soon):

Take on me screen capture

Still don’t remember? Check out Family Guy’s funny (and quick) rehash of the song:

(if you can’t see the video, click here)

Had I seen something else (for example, anything other than the greatest music video ever produced), maybe MTV wouldn’t have seemed nearly as cool. Not that MTV’s coolness factor lasted very long.

Do you remember the first thing you saw on MTV? Or your favorite video before MTV became Real World TV?

16 Responses to “Favorite MTV video?”

1. on 03 Feb 2007 at 7:25 am Richie

I have that same problem in my supermarket! Only, I don’t get sucked into the A-Ha video–I get the Frog Chorus with Paul McCartney. It sucks!

2. on 03 Feb 2007 at 10:24 am BOSSY

Bossy wants to say…… Hungry Like The Wolf. She can’t remember the exact details past the flowing white clothes and crazy eye makeup. And that was just Simon Le Bon.

3. on 03 Feb 2007 at 10:53 am libragirl

The first video I saw was Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles. Which was the first video played. I was 10 and my parents let me and my siblings stay up to midnight to watch it.

Now, MTV only plays videos overnight until like 7 am. It’s not music. It’s just crap tv.

4. on 03 Feb 2007 at 2:53 pm Robin

I love the Family Guy lmao!

5. on 03 Feb 2007 at 4:57 pm Nick Payne

That is a hilarious irreverent homage!

Sent it straight to my sister who used to fancy Morton!

I loved the concept of the original video.

On a good day I can sing it right.

God bless

N

6. on 03 Feb 2007 at 5:19 pm Irish Church Lady

AHA! (pun intended) I used to love that video so much!!! Whenever it came on I could not stop watching it until right to the end!

I love the family guy rendition! Very kool! Thanks for sharing!

~ICL~

7. on 03 Feb 2007 at 5:19 pm Chris

I remember the days when MTV actually played music. What a novel idea….

8. on 04 Feb 2007 at 12:11 am coryann02

I still remember the man on the moon with the flag, Dire Straits “money for nothin’ and your chicks fpr free

9. on 05 Feb 2007 at 11:00 am damewom

The day MTV came to my house, it was battle of the bands. Billy Squire vs. John Wait. Missing You beat out the Stroke. I was bummed.

10. on 05 Feb 2007 at 11:10 am Anita Bath

I find it amazing that so many people can remember the first video they saw on MTV, yet can’t remember what they had for breakfast yesterday.

OK, so it’s probably just me that can’t remember … waffles maybe? Or was that lunch?

11. on 05 Feb 2007 at 12:18 pm Diesel

Holy crap, that’s funny. I used to have Take On Me as my cell phone ring. Yeah, it was like 2002. I’m not ashamed.

12. on 05 Feb 2007 at 1:44 pm Jenny Ryan

When my brother got that cassette he played that song over and over approximately 100 billion times. Good thing it was such a good song!

13. on 08 Feb 2007 at 6:43 am Clangnuts

That takes me back. 1987 wasn’t it? The year I left school – feeling really old now…

14. on 08 Feb 2007 at 4:02 pm wolfe

I think the first video I saw was Chris de Burgh’s “Don’t pay the Ferryman”. Now that really dates me. For the life of me, I can’t remember whether I saw it in Europe or North America. I traveled a lot even as a kid.

As for breakfast yesterday, that’s easy. Food, of some kind. I’m pretty sure. If it had been poison, I wouldn’t be here. So, yep, sticking with food.

-wolfe

15. on 04 Apr 2007 at 12:21 am debbie

My parents got cable tv, and this was around 1981. I was 10 years old Just when Mtv was new and starting. I don’t remember the first video i saw, but Duran Duran’s video for Planet Earth is one of the first.
    As far as a-ha, I liked their video and song Take On Me. I remember my boyfriend liked it as well. I saw them perform in concert once in the U.S. in September of 1986 i believe, their only U.S. tour. I saw them at the Ford Theatre in Detroit, Michigan. I lived in Woodhaven Michigan.
    My parents bought me alot of teen/music magazines in the 80s. I had the famous Take On Me poster on my wall right by my bed. So, i dreamed and drooled. Didn’t get me anywhere though.

Take Care
    deb

16. on 04 Jul 2007 at 9:03 am 80s Music That Is Cool

80s Music That Is Cool…

I don’t agree with you in 100%, but you covered some good points regarding this topic…