Interested in joining the Japanese Air Force? I am, after seeing a picture of their recruits in action:

japanese fighter pilots in training

Apparently they take a very zen-like approach to flying: first learning to “be the plane” before flying it. Either that, or they have connected their 330 combat aircraft to Nintendo Wiimotes for remote control fun over the internet. Who needs real battle when you can decide your countries fate over a game of Wii Bowling?

Given Japan’s aversion to war, the Air Force has had trouble recruiting even for these plum positions. Their new marketing ploy? Lower the recruiting age:

Airplane costume
(pics via Tigers and Cranes and BuyCostumes)

If you arrived here from somewhere else, check out the equally unbelievable Japanese Navy Recruiting Video.

24 Responses to “The Japanese Air Force is Recruiting”

1. on 30 Jan 2007 at 4:22 am Simon

Woo hoo First Comment!

I think Zen flying is a good idea for the Japanese. If you feel as one with the plane you’re much less likely to crash it into, say, an American Harbour.

That would *hurt* the plane.

2. on 30 Jan 2007 at 5:25 am Richie

Hey, it’s not funny–that guy on the left of the picture is taking off!

3. on 30 Jan 2007 at 2:40 pm David Airey

Sign me up! I’ve always wanted to be Top Gun, but never thought my dreams would come true 😉

4. on 30 Jan 2007 at 3:50 pm Funny Alex

haha, army training test passed, you are conferred a decoration “Army Service Ribbon”, Anita :)

5. on 31 Jan 2007 at 12:14 pm Diesel

The guy on the left may be taking off, but I think the guy on the right is playing with his joystick. Who knew the Japanese had such big nose cones?

6. on 31 Jan 2007 at 12:35 pm wolfe

Well, there’s always the Japanese Navy recruiting approach (no kidding, this is a real excerpt of such a video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJrIF7pHyO0

If you can track down the rest, it would merit a great post all on its own, possibly combined with this alleged (hopefully falsely so) American recruiting video:

To be boring and clear: the Japanese video is real, and was a recruiting video. The American? Uh… it might be real. I hope not though.

-wolfe

7. on 31 Jan 2007 at 12:56 pm Anita Bath

Wolfe, great find! I’ll have to do a follow-up post tonight, thanks!

8. on 01 Feb 2007 at 2:51 pm Mrs. ThePoint

Japanese airforce v.s. U.S. airforce !! 日本空軍v.s.美國空軍…

First, is a Japanese airforce recruits in action picture.  Second, is a kid with a custum.
    Not much different, right? Besides the kid is cuter…hehe
    好可愛…第一張照片是日本軍隊訓練照. 第二張是一位普通小朋…….

9. on 02 Feb 2007 at 8:15 am ilker

LOL.. the kid: “I WANTED A PS3!!!”

10. on 02 Feb 2007 at 2:51 pm sewdough

Do they ‘become’ tanks too? Submarines? Battleships? Should make for some interesting costumes.

11. on 02 Feb 2007 at 4:38 pm Janeth

The battleships did not work well. Thy kept falling out of the whole in the bottom of their little boat.

12. on 02 Feb 2007 at 10:09 pm Vels

R they Japanese?

13. on 03 Feb 2007 at 1:41 pm jon

Brings a whole new meaning to the words cock pit

14. on 03 Feb 2007 at 11:19 pm Dan

wolfe…..thats the village people.

15. on 04 Feb 2007 at 10:41 am CrazyEyez

this explains why the japanese got theire a**es kicked so badly in WW2.

Also maybe the kamikazee pilots accidently crashed into all that stuff after loseing controll of theire planes due to a ahlf assed approach to flight training

16. on 04 Feb 2007 at 5:34 pm koty

lol that is all i can say lol

17. on 05 Feb 2007 at 2:38 am Kambiz Kamrani

Japans very own Maverick and Goose from Top Gun…

Intrigued by this image? Well thank Anita Bath, of Say No to Crack, who shared this with us. As far as I can tell, it’s a legitimate air force image from Japan. And for the lack of a better set of words, the actual ‘chain of command’…

18. on 11 Feb 2007 at 3:43 am Michael

They are looking funny.

19. on 13 Feb 2007 at 5:10 pm Luigi

Crazy, the reason why Japan was bombed (which is how I am assuming you’re saying they got their butts served to them on a silver platter) is because one interpreter had recieved the bomb threat from the U.S., but he used the wrong japanese word, and so the message didn’t make it through I guess or they misinterpreted what the Americans said. Not because of poor air force. They whooped us at Pearl Harbor, ans yes, it was by surprise, but they still whooped us.

20. on 13 Feb 2007 at 5:12 pm Luigi

Forgot to mention that for the Japanese, kamakaze was an honorable way to day. Or so I’ve been told. I’ve heard that if they didn’t die in the plane crash, the pilot would have a pistol with him and kill himself with it. But I’m not sure if that’s true…Just what I’ve heard from people. Also, not sure if double posting is against any set of rules or not.

21. on 20 Feb 2007 at 11:12 pm Sean

The Japanese had a world class military during WW2 and was of better quality and training than the US. The Americans had gone through their little period of isolations and depression since the first WW and was rather behind the times. The thing that no other nation had was our industrial capacity and two big ‘ol bodies of water on either side of a continent to protect them. That and manpower. The Japanese nor the Nazis could match American industrial output or manpower. Frankly, the American military was fairly poorly trained, and Roosevelt wasn’t afraid to send young men to their deaths. Half a million Americans died for his wanting to get involved in WW2.

22. on 01 Apr 2007 at 1:37 am Inflammable Hamster

Great, now I want one of those. But mounted on a bike, with little model jet engines on it so you could go really fast along the ground…. maybe eventually add detatchable wings so you actually can fly… oh wait I’m back to plane. Still cool tho.

23. on 28 Apr 2010 at 4:18 am Michael XD

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I ALREADY SAID NO TO CRACK HAHAHA OH AND THE JAPANESE PEOPLE ARE FUNNY TO HAHAHA

24. on 25 Nov 2010 at 12:12 pm ed galbraith