You’ve probably seen the odd Burger King commercials with “The King”. These are the ads where all of a sudden a guy dressed as a king (complete with a massive plastic king head) pops up in unsuspecting places: the actor’s bedroom, outside their window, a bus stop, etc.

I always thought these commercials were pretty funny, but I also know some people find them creepy (one friend had nightmares of “The King” for a month after seeing the bedroom ad). Either way, “The King” is popular … so much so that Burger King recently released an XBOX 360 game featuring him.

Here’s the game trailer:

(if you can’t see the video, click here)

How silly can a game get? Surprisingly, it has sold over 2 Million copies (at U.S. Burger Kings) to become one of the most popular games of the past year. If you or your kids already have this game, what do you think? Is it as strange as the promo video appears?

Video via Emmanuel BRUNET

11 Responses to “The King – Creepy or Funny?”

1. on 28 Jan 2007 at 12:56 pm Jakel

For a couple dollars any xbox game would sell 2 million copies. I am sure it is fun, but I bet that fun lasts maybe 2 days. It is very stange, but I think that is what they were trying to do.

2. on 28 Jan 2007 at 6:30 pm Chris

Creepy horrible…

3. on 28 Jan 2007 at 7:03 pm Irish Church Lady

I do find him funny but strange at the same time with that big head of his.

Guess they were / are trying to capitalize on the gaming bandwagon. Pretty smart marketing.

Over from Fab’s checking out your blog.

First thing I notice is no ads! Yay! Big thumbs up in my books!

Congrats on the weblogs nomination :-)

4. on 28 Jan 2007 at 7:36 pm ariel

Uhm, both? Creepy is funny.

5. on 28 Jan 2007 at 8:42 pm Erica

Yeah, they apparently have about four games with the King, and they are only about $4.00 each. If I had an Xbox 360 I’d probably get one because, heck, it’s only $4.00.

That being said, I’m glad I’m not the only one who is afraid of the King! Everytime my co-workers and I go there for lunch, I get creeped out by this giant sign that says, “The King wants to play.” Eww. Plus, the whole waking up in bed with him thing is always a fear. :)

6. on 28 Jan 2007 at 10:03 pm Mr. Fabulous

I didn’t like him at first, but the football commercials are funny as hell.

7. on 28 Jan 2007 at 10:50 pm TDB

I just want to know exactly where he pulled that burger from.

8. on 29 Jan 2007 at 3:48 am Simon

My God. Why didn’t any one tell me. I was the one wearing the mask the whole time?

I’m a monster….

9. on 29 Jan 2007 at 6:43 am Health

Heh, creepy funny. :I

10. on 29 Jan 2007 at 4:22 pm Mark

I feel so much better, I thought it was just me. He creeps me out because he never blinks – I didn’t even notice the unnaturally large head because I am a longtime fan of “Adrienne Clarkson Presents”. She has quite the melon. And they both wear white pantyhose. Coincidence?

If you ever need a place to hide from either one of them (f they are not in fact the same person), my attic works pretty well. The access hole is too small for either the King or Adrienne Clarkson to enter. In fact, making all North American doors narrower would eliminate those visitations. I know he just materializes at random, but nobody has ever seen him dematerialize, so he would be stuck in the room where he popped up.

11. on 04 Feb 2007 at 1:35 pm Rowan

He majorly weirds me out.