Have you ever seen temporary city sculptures made out of toilet paper? They’re pretty neat, and easy to make a simple one. All you need is toilet paper, a subway vent with upward airflow, and some creativity. Oh, and having a friend handy to chase away nosy birds and TP thiefs can’t hurt either.

Below are a few examples of larger sculptures. If you’ve ever seen these yourself, let us know (or even better, send us a picture).

Barcelona:

Toilet Paper Sculpture - Barcelona
via

Madrid:

Toilet Paper Sculpture - Madrid
via

Toilet Paper Sculpture - Madrid 2
via iceblog

I was in France in 2003 and saw someone quickly setting up a small sculpture (using only 1-2 rolls), but have never seen other pictures taken from outside Spain. Perhaps Spain is the only industrialized country where officials wouldn’t notice if toilet paper was covering the streets?

I’d love to see a pic or video of someone trying this in New York (or any other big city). Any takers?

(if you haven’t already, you can see part 2 here: Toilet Paper Artwork Part 2 – Clothing)

8 Responses to “Toilet Paper Artwork Part 1 – Air Vent Sculptures”

1. on 18 Jan 2007 at 4:21 am Tisha

Now why didn’t I think of that!

After the holiday toilets in Times Square maybe Charmin will consider a toilet paper sculpture!

2. on 18 Jan 2007 at 8:50 am Chris

Great pictures.

I can see I’m going to be visiting this blog often, to be ‘inspired’ for mine 😉

3. on 18 Jan 2007 at 4:48 pm Dawn (webmiztris)

ha! that is so cool!

4. on 18 Jan 2007 at 7:05 pm Dan

These are no fun! I mean, come on! How the heck can you TP these on Mischief Night? It’s like throwing eggs at an omelette. It just isn’t the same!

5. on 19 Jan 2007 at 8:43 am Rob

They are so much better than the mashed up rubbish people used to try and create on the toilet walls at my old school…

6. on 20 Jan 2007 at 12:27 am Devon

This is definitely the most interesting thing I’ve seen today. Who thinks this stuff up??

7. on 21 Jan 2007 at 8:21 am Tricia

Hey that’s kind of cool. I think I like numbers two and three the best. the second one has a ghostly kind of look to it and the last one looks a bit like a fountain doesn’t it? Neat!

There’s lots of subway grates in Downtown Toronto … hmmmm maybe I’ll try it sometime. Photo’s to follow if I do!

8. on 18 Apr 2007 at 6:51 pm Tim

“Perhaps Spain is the only industrialized country where officials wouldn’t notice if toilet paper was covering the streets?”

Are you KIDDING? Spain is one of the cleanest countries in Europe. If you happen to be wandering the streets after midnight (which in most of Spain is basically early evening…) then you really have to watch out for those guys with high-pressure hoses washing everything down.