Over the past week I’ve been on an advertising kick. After publishing my choices for the Top 10 Billboard Advertisements, I had decided not to post any more funny or cool ads for a while. However, just as I was finishing a different post, a friend sent me what I could only describe as the strangest video I have ever seen:

(if you can’t see the video, click here)

By the third time watching it, I couldn’t stop laughing. Apparently this was a big hit in England, and was inspired by a commercial for Quiznos (also by the same producer):

(if you can’t see the video, click here)

I’m now told this is a relatively old commercial, but since I had never seen it (and am still laughing from these “spongmonkeys”), I thought maybe some of you hadn’t either.

What do you think … funny, annoying, or just dumb?

7 Responses to “The Oddest Commercials Ever?”

1. on 17 Jan 2007 at 11:15 pm JaKey PoO

Cat one was funny. Rat one annoying.

2. on 17 Jan 2007 at 11:25 pm Ken S, Fifth String on the Banjo of Life

“funny, annoying, or just dumb?”

D. All of the above

Like so many other things, since I’m older than dirt, I knew OF those dopey Quiznos ads before I ever saw one. They’re not THAT old (3-4 years, maybe?) but I saw references to them well before I ever saw one. It’s kind of like that song “Bette Davis Eyes” from back in the 80s, I heard several different parodies of it before I ever heard the original song.

Did I mention I’m old?

3. on 18 Jan 2007 at 8:49 am Chris

If you like these, you need to check out Rathergood.com :-)

4. on 18 Jan 2007 at 1:43 pm Diesel

I know someone who was so freaked out by the Quizno’s “squashed rat” that she didn’t eat there for years.

Personally, I thought they were fantastically bizarre. They didn’t really make me want a honey bourbon swiss sammich, but they certainly were memorable.

5. on 19 Jan 2007 at 4:44 am Walter

The Quiznos commercial is a version of the original We Like The Moon. Warning, bizarre video starts at link.

6. on 20 Jan 2007 at 3:41 am Steve

The moonsong is what started these guys out:

I think it’s hysterical, but nobody I know seems to get why I think its so funny.

7. on 21 Jan 2007 at 2:42 pm wommy

what fond memories! thanks for sharing the singing hairball Quizno’s commercial; I loved it then, I love it now. Before I found out they were actually hamsters, I thought the singing furballs were really hairballs a cat coughed up! Seriously, don’t they look like hairballs?!