Time for our random question of the week (thanks for all your great comments the past couple weeks when we did this):

What’s the most unique food or custom that you and your family have for Thanksgiving (non U.S. readers can insert any holiday you want in place of Thanksgiving)?

My family is pretty traditional. People who grew up outside Pennsylvania think our red beet eggs are pretty strange (these are eggs pickled in unknown tasty red liquid), but that’s about it. Last year however, I hosted Thanksgiving and completely through all traditions out the window. I made corn fritters (yummm), and sweet potato balls that looked like huge orange cow patties covered in marshmallow (everyone agreed these were rather nasty … although my grandmother seemed to love them and filled her purse to the top with all the leftovers, they are probably still in her freezer now).

Maybe next year I’ll make something like these turkey cupcakes instead of sweat potato balls … at least if they don’t turn out, the kids will love looking at them (thanks to Brian Wallace for the pic):
corny turkey treats

Gobble gobble, looking forward to your responses! Also, don’t forget to check back tomorrow, we’ll reveal a lot more of each picture in our contest … and the prize will remain at $100 for the next week! :)

9 Responses to “What’s your most unique Thanksgiving custom?”

1. on 23 Nov 2006 at 4:16 am Greenearth

Some wonderful ideas. Here in Australia it is always the barbecue. There is nothing that can’t be cooked on a barbecue and no occassion that doesn’t call for a barbecue.

2. on 23 Nov 2006 at 7:14 am Maritza

I posted about our T Day back in maybe October. Basically, we forego the turkey and stuffing and have our “Favorite Foods”. Everyone picks their favorite dish and we all eat what we like while in our pajamas!

3. on 23 Nov 2006 at 8:35 am Peety

We don’t celebrate thnksgiving in Europe but I wanted to wish you and your readers Happy Thanksgiving..

Thanks for your constant support Anita :)..
    *hugs*

4. on 23 Nov 2006 at 9:06 am prying1

I’d have to say that the only unique thing about our Thanksgivings is there is absolutely nothing unique.

5. on 23 Nov 2006 at 9:15 am Nessa

We eat alot. I know, not very unique.

Those sweet potato balls sound good.

Happy Thanksgiving. Come see my attack hand turkey, Charlie.

6. on 23 Nov 2006 at 3:54 pm Diesel

Greenearth – Australia sounds awesome.

Our most unusual tradition is probably that we actually go to church for the Thanksgiving service. Doesn’t seem like very many people do that any more. :)

7. on 23 Nov 2006 at 7:57 pm em

Growing up as one of 6 children in the immediate clan, we had dinners with 25-30 people at the Thanksgiving table. Sometimes the noise level was insane. So the folks started a game at the dinner table for “the kids” and it was called The Quiet Game. Anyone who uttered a word was “out” of the game. Needless to say, it gave the adults a few stolen minutes of peace and quiet while “giving thanks” — I’m not sure if they were giving thanks for the bounty at the table, or the quiet time. Overall, the day was very hectic, fun and traditional.

8. on 25 Nov 2006 at 9:23 pm quilldancer

I think that funny red juice is from pickled beets ….

9. on 30 Oct 2007 at 5:00 pm Christie Taylor

Last year my family dressed up as Native Americans and Pilgrims. Half of the family dressed as Native Americans and the other half as Pilgrims – and we sat at separate tables during dinner. We decorated the house with corn husks and Native American beads, a Lego pirate ship (which was supposed to be the Mayflower), and a big poster that had the list of the original Mayflower colony. It was the most unique and fun Thanksgiving ever. Usually we just spend hours preparing food and then stuff ourselves, but this new theme got us into the spirit and had us laughing for weeks afterwards. Now I’m trying to think of something to top last year’s theme – and its pretty tough!