little superheroesIf you could have just one superpower, what would it be … and why? Leave a comment to let us know!

Personally, I would want to be immortal. Maybe that’s cheating … are there any superheroes that don’t age? Even Superman, the most powerful of the superheroes, gets older in the comics and movies. I always wondered if a 95 year old superman would still be so super, or just be really good in wheelchair races. Why don’t they make a movie about Superman coming out of retirement? Rocky is like 70 and is still trying to fight, so why can’t Superman? Maybe “Superman Returns from the Proctologist” just isn’t that catchy of a title, but it would probably be entertaining, particularly if he fought evil side by side with the Italian Stallion.

My reason for choosing immortality is that at some point we’ll probably invent gadgets for all the other super powers (possibly even immortality, but I wouldn’t want to risk the wait). I could then be kind of like an immortal version of Syndrome from The Incredibles, errr … well … except I wouldn’t be evil, or have really bad hair, or wear tights and a cape, and I also would probably have no inclination to take over the world … so basically nothing like Syndrome except for having lots of cool gadgets.

Maybe it’s not as cool to have x-ray vision goggles vs. eyes that just see through everything, but hey … I could only pick one superpower, plus I’ve been to nude beaches and found that most people are best left revealed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

(BTW – thanks to Diesel at The Mattress Police for entertaining and inspiring us with his superhero antics the past few days, and thanks to davebluedevil for the pic!)

33 Responses to “What superpower would you choose?”

1. on 15 Nov 2006 at 11:07 pm Diesel

Anita – Thanks for the mention. We must be in sync, because I was actually planning on giving you a shout-out for inspiring one of MY posts in the very near future.

I would have to choose Wolverine’s regeneration ability, because as much as I’d like to fly, I’d be afraid of smacking into a telephone pole and breaking my neck. Also, regeneration just might trump immortality — the jury is still out on whether Wolverine ages.

2. on 16 Nov 2006 at 12:23 am Sar

Hi Anita! Choosing just one super power, hmmm. I’ve been watching HEROS and there’s benefits and drawbacks to them all. I’m overthinking this, aren’t I, so maybe the ability not to overthink? Oh wait, then I’d just be a man. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Btw, glad to have you at the brawl.

3. on 16 Nov 2006 at 1:26 am Noi

Haha! Good choice but wouldnt it be boring being able to live for so long since you are immortal? Hehe. This was easy, I want to fly! So I dont have to endure the traffic jams!

4. on 16 Nov 2006 at 2:05 am Gรƒยผggenflรƒยผrgen

It would be to teleport through time.

with my molest-stash

5. on 16 Nov 2006 at 2:18 am Anita Bath

Noi – being immortal would certainly have its downfalls. I’d probably need to start an additional blog to help take up all my free time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Guggenflurgen – Hmmm … I think time travel and teleportation might be two different superpowers, but I guess time travel would be pretty useless if you couldn’t also teleport (particularly since your current 3 dimensional location might actually be 6 feet inside a piece of conrete 1,000 years from now), so I’ll give it to you.

You’d probably also want the ability to preview where you’re going to end up … otherwise, you could find yourself in the middle of some intergalactic war 10,000 years from now, ouch!

6. on 16 Nov 2006 at 10:15 am pia

I think immortality if I could remain this age–or back a few years, never get sick or have other infirmities

Great question, thanks

7. on 16 Nov 2006 at 1:22 pm Cameron

This post reminded me of the Animorphs books that were popular when I was in fifth grade. The kids in these books could change into any animal that they touched. I think that would be pretty cool…

8. on 16 Nov 2006 at 1:46 pm Sue

What an interesting question! Just surfed in via Blog Mad. I think my answer would be the ability to fly,no more need to take public transport or drive .. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers!

Sue

9. on 16 Nov 2006 at 6:03 pm Robin

I’ve always wanted to fly. Sometimes I dream about it.

10. on 16 Nov 2006 at 6:11 pm Mary

I would either choose unusually long life…not immortality, but kind of like Aerogon in Lord of the Rings.

OR, I would choose to be invisible.

Invisibility could be very handy when traveling. But, unusually long life would be satisfying, but not too boring.

11. on 16 Nov 2006 at 6:16 pm Jumpin J

I am choosing, choose, chose time control.

12. on 16 Nov 2006 at 6:19 pm Alcari

You’re all not thinking big enough. I’d choose the power to have one wish per day granted. And thus giving me everything, instead of just one thing. Is that cheating?

ps. followed your slashdot link.

13. on 16 Nov 2006 at 7:27 pm Diesel

I want to go back and pick Jumpin J’s answer.

14. on 16 Nov 2006 at 10:31 pm Decaf Tihs

I would want to be able to toggle from visible to invisible whenever I want. Imagine the possibilities!

15. on 16 Nov 2006 at 11:04 pm teahouseblossom

Hahahaha..great photo.

I think Elastigirl seemed kind of appealing.

16. on 17 Nov 2006 at 2:28 pm seb

Flying would be cool.

So would immunity to illnesses and all that, so kind of in line with immortality.

Another cool one: being able to appear in peoples’ dreams and mess with them, kind of like being the Sandman. I like that idea.

17. on 17 Nov 2006 at 3:24 pm Bob

Careful what you wish for. I wouldn’t want immortality without invincibility. Otherwise, I might age to the point that my body was useless, or I might be in a hideous accident, and yet be unable to die, so I would just exist in terrible, endless pain. Even with invincibility, what if you were in a plane that crashed in the ocean? You could end up trapped in your seat, under intense darkness and pressure, surrounded by death, and unable to free yourself for a million years.

No, self-healing is where it’s at – a body that is always returning itself towards being strong, lean, and 20 years old. A body that can die under extreme circumstances, but which can heal something as trivial as a bullet wound.

18. on 17 Nov 2006 at 7:50 pm Sven Geier

Dunno about Superman coming out of retirement, but there was a comic book in the eighties about Batman coming out of retirement in a dystopian future. “The Dark Knight Returns”. Was a massive seller.

Not sure what it’s called and maybe it counts as more than one, but if I had to choose a super hero, I’d like to be like Jon of the Watchmen. He seems to be able to control, well, reality. Space, time, matter, energy. Alternatively (but very much in the same direction) that guy from Planetary who also seemed to have something like that (the guy we only ever see in the past tense, I forget the name).

19. on 17 Nov 2006 at 9:11 pm Gregory

There are superheroes who don’t age in Marvel comics, like Galactus, Apocalypse, or the Silver Surfer. (Technically, the first two are villains).

There are three powers I’ve never been able to choose between. First of all, I’d just want some sort of invulnerability power. I just want to be durable, and not have to worry about getting hurt. My second choice would be flight. Thirdly, I would want the power to manifest my own imagination.

20. on 17 Nov 2006 at 9:18 pm Gregory

Also, in response to whether Wolvie ages, he does,actually. He was born in the early 1800’s. He just ages very, very slowly.

21. on 09 Dec 2006 at 5:29 pm Grant

I want to fly. I would give up anything to have the ability to fly (like superman).

22. on 19 Feb 2007 at 7:23 am Ryan

I am about to top you all…the ability to do anything ๐Ÿ˜€

23. on 01 Mar 2007 at 8:44 pm capt awesome

man i think it wud b so sweet if i cud half invincibility. but not immortality because, u c, if u had invincibility you cud still die of old age, u jus wud not get hurt @ all. it wud b gr8.

24. on 16 Apr 2007 at 11:56 pm Jak

I don’t know what i’d have but NOT, I repeat NOT, immortality. There are several raesons. 1)Boredom.
    2)You cannot die: What if the world were destroyed and you just floated there…yeah. 3) I want to go to heaven. You have to die to do that.

25. on 18 Apr 2007 at 11:45 pm Jak

I finally realized! I would be able to emit microwaves from an part of my body I wanted!
    Instant hot food, blow up stuff, and if I cocentrated hard enough, I could melt bullets and stuff before it hits me!

26. on 10 Jun 2007 at 12:09 am Phoenix

I would definitely want to control something like lightning or fire. It is so destructive and potent that you could do whatever you wanted. you’d end up being a god. lol. but thats from the perspective of a megalomaniac(obsessed with power)also, fire can be very compatible with alot of things. all of our US jet engines use combustion to propell, so flying would be open to me, though only at high speeds like 600 mph

27. on 15 Jul 2007 at 11:45 pm Spackles

telekenisis (dont laugh at my spelling) is the best.. or is it freezing time? yeah, time & space wins says survey

28. on 30 Sep 2007 at 2:10 pm chris taylor

psychkinesis is so much fun! its kindof a real life super power some people get put into controlled comas because they have it. its where u use by some default in ur body allof ur brain at once instead of the 10% u would normally use….basicly people who have it can do almost anything they want…they can alter thier density so they are herder than steel..grow wings…shoot fire…..an the best bit is its real!!!! i used to have a friend who blew himself up by accident when he found out he had it…poor guy…still fun for the five minutes he had it!!!

29. on 15 Oct 2007 at 8:30 am Comic Superpower

I would have mind control. Then I could have anything I want. How cool is that!

30. on 14 Jul 2009 at 4:26 pm kendrickurgena

So much to choose, man. So much to choose. I would like super strength, super speed, super agility, super jumps, super reflexes, super stamina, super durability, super endurance, super equilibrium, super fighting, super dexterity, shooting spider webs, wall crawling, razor-sharp claws, optic blasts, danger sense, power sense, aura sense, super hearing, super sight, heightened senses, night vision, x-ray vision, super brain, knowing your enemy’s moves, invincibility, bullet catch, healing/regeneration, time freeze, redirect energy blasts, controlling ice, fire, acid, water, earth, plants, light, darkness, sound, electricity, wind, and weather, shooting energy blasts, stretching, invisibility, teleportation, phasing, mind control and hypnosis resistance, telepathy, telekinesis, force fields, absorption, super accuracy, and super swimming. Those are the powers I want.

31. on 08 Sep 2009 at 7:36 pm Jesse

Telekinesis

A) You could levitate yourself, and thus fly. (and fly saver, )
    B) Depending on how fast you can move yourself, it’s a pretty close second to teleportation.
    C) You can constantly surround yourself with an inpenetrable field, thus you can’t be stabbed/shot/hit/etc.
    D) You can use a larger force field to trap the oxygen around you, and thus you can go in water and still breathe (and pull more oxygen from the surface when you need more, or just pull it from the water around you)
    E) You can always pretend that it’s your physical body that’s doing something, so you can appear to be really strong.
    F) You could go to outer-space (with the force field of course).
    G) Depending on how powerful you are, you can slow down/speed up the vibration of atoms and thus you can control the heat of things. Freeze and combust things.

Thus, telekinesis pretty much also gives you: Ability to fly, Bullet-proof skin, ability to breathe underwater, incredible strength, temperature control (fire/ice), and I’m sure a lot of other things I’m not thinking of.

Besides, telekinesis is just too bad-ass on it’s own.

Also, even if all you wanted to do was fly, you’d be better off choosing telekinesis, since if you can’t put a force field around yourself and you fly too fast, the friction of air around you would snap your neck or burn you (and you would have to accelerate slowly as well, or risk getting whiplash).

I win. ๐Ÿ˜‰

32. on 10 Apr 2010 at 9:24 pm ferret

I agree with cameron, to be any animal you touched would rock. But even in the books rachel want crazy because she was allergic to crocodiles…

33. on 30 Dec 2010 at 12:52 pm James

Invulnerability defo! beats immortality every time, raher than not dying you couldn’t even get hurt! i mean if i had a superpower i would have to do somthing useful with it, like super crimes and all that; i know it sounds cheesy but thats what i would do. therefor i would need protection, and not being able to get hurt well thats purfect.