Feed a pigeon, lose a finger!

Here’s another really funny street sign. This one was taken in San Francisco by AMagill:
Feed a pigeon, lose a finger
And you thought taking your kids to the park to feed the pigeons was a safe and cheap family affair, eh? Luckily the unfortunate fingerless person (who years ago probably sued the city for not posting warning signs) didn’t lose other body parts, it’s bad enough seeing that bird take away a finger 😯

9 Responses to “Feed a pigeon, lose a finger!”

1. on 17 Oct 2006 at 8:46 am Rachel

Love this sign! I’ll bet the sign maker had a right laugh making it too. As you say, I wonder how many fingers were lost…….
    Will come back to visit soon.
    Rach

2. on 17 Oct 2006 at 4:24 pm Raivyn

Wow, I didn’t know pigeons even had the strength to take off human fingers.. maybe it was a small child. That would suck.

3. on 17 Oct 2006 at 5:54 pm Memphis

I think it’s not so much the dangerous pigeons but the rather extreme punishment you get for feeding them.
    Mind you i did once face off against a white tipped Angolan pigeon when on a dig – nasty little fellow – more trying to peck out the eyes – not so much the eating of fingers.

4. on 17 Oct 2006 at 10:31 pm Bill Watts

I’ve lost all my fingers feeding pigeons.

5. on 18 Oct 2006 at 8:08 pm Diesel

I once went to Marine World, where they let you feed the parakeets by holding out a cup of nectar. The birds are supposed to land on your arm and eat out of the little paper cup. For this privilege, you pay $1.

So I went in there, paid my dollar, and dutifully held out my cup of sugar water. Eventually a bird flew over and landed — on my neck. He started to peck gently at my neck, which was a little odd, but didn’t really hurt. There was a tugging sensation, and I thought he was yanking at my neck hairs. Then it started to actually hurt and BLOOD started to run down my neck. The damn bird thought a mole on my neck was a seed or something and was trying to EAT it.

I asked for my dollar back.

6. on 31 Oct 2006 at 10:58 am Sergio

I tried to write but my fingerss…..asdavca sorry…auch!!!

7. on 19 Jan 2008 at 11:23 pm -----

Funny Sign!

8. on 09 Jan 2009 at 9:09 am Bill

Anybody know if those signs are still there? I understand that the Blue Chip Cookies store is gone now. I believe it was replaced by a Mrs. Fields. Too bad. Anybody know when that Blue Chip Cookies store closed? That photo has to be a few years old.

9. on 19 Oct 2009 at 12:13 pm Porteous

Bless your site for your guidance.